iMac service: AASP or Apple store?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Sam Spade, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Sam Spade macrumors regular

I have an AASP near me that has a good reputation, as well as an Apple store.

Is there any downside to having your machine serviced by an AASP?

2. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

Unless the shop has a bad reputation for some reason, they're just as good as an Apple Store. The training and certifications are literally the exact same as in an Apple Store, and the techs have to become recertified every year.

3. Xylene macrumors newbie

AASPs have metrics they have to maintain such as parts per repair and first time fix, which affects their compensation for warranty repairs. Because of this the techs usually take their time to verify your issue instead of just throwing parts at it.

When I worked for Apple as a Genius we constantly had machines come back after the first repair because it wasn't actually fixed. I now work for a Premium level AASP (because I left working for Apple due to this and another reasons) and our repeat rate over the last year has been 0. I believe our quality of work is much better. Also, if you go to an AASP you are usually supporting a small business.

4. macthefork macrumors 6502

This^^^^^^^^

In my experience, the AASPs have been better than the Genius (technician) repairs. On one occasion, Apple suggested a local AASP for a client after a botched repair at the store.