iMac Setup

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jwc6160, Sep 10, 2015.

1. jwc6160 macrumors member

patiently awaiting a new Mac lineup and was thinking about my current setup. Right now, I have a time machine hard wired as my initial router. I also have an airport express upstairs as a repeater. This is working fine currently and I'll be getting google fiber soon, so this setup may change. My question is, the only reason I have the time machine is to back up my pictures. There are a few other things on my Mac that I would hate to lose, but wouldn't be that big a deal. Since iCloud was upgraded to 50g for a dollar I was wondering how big my iphoto library was. At about 9,000 pics I am sitting at a bit above 20gigs. Should I dump the time machine and just start backing up my photos to the cloud?

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

2. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Do both ... I would never trust the "cloud" with my only backup of my photos.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I agree with hfg. No way would I trust any "cloud" service with my only copy of my photos.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Honestly, I would trust a cloud service like Dropbox over a physical HD, even in my own home, if it contained my only copy of something
    The catch is, I never have only 1 copy of my data
    I have a Time Machine HD, a Carbon Copy Clone on a HD and a separate Carbon Copy Clone on another HD
    Plus, almost all of my data is on Dropbox

Storage space these days is cheap, whether physical or Cloud, so there is no excuse for not having redundancy