Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roadkill401

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2015
I bought my first iMac about 9 months ago along with Apple Care. I am not sure if it's a wise idea to try and keep the box for the unit as it's rather big. But then again the 27" iMac is rather big too.

I have taken the iMac to the apple store once for the genius bar, and could see a benefit from that perspective, but it is a huge box and hard to store.

I am wondering if keeping the shipping box is simply just something every mac owner does ?

MadDane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2015
For my 2009 iMac I still have the box. I have moved a couple of times and for that it is extremely handy to have the box. It will also be easier for a future buyer to bring the iMac home, if you ever decide to sell it.

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
Keeping the box is a big bonus when you sell the computer. I always show a photo of all the original shipping materials in my ad (usually Craig's list), and this helps the prospective buyer to verify that I really did buy the computer new and that I am a organized person who takes good care of my equipment. And, of course, it will make things much easier and more carefree for you if you ever do need to move or ship your iMac. Please keep the box if at all possible.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I have a 20" and 27" iMac, plus MBP. All of which I have kept the boxes. Hard to move those iMac around without them. You never know when you may have to take in for a repair. Plus the added sale value. Not worth anything really, but will makes yours more appealing and a possible quicker sale.

bent christian

Suspended
Nov 5, 2015
I keep boxes for everything. It helps moving and also in returning items for repair.

If you have a garage, rafters make a great storage space. Rest some particleboard along the supports and throw your boxes up there. That is what I do.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Previously I kept the boxes, but now we have an iLugger and we discard the boxes. It is so much better for transporting an iMac.

I primarily use it to bring my Apple Thunderbolt Display with me to our beach house when I am working there for a week or so... but I also use it if I need to take one of our iMacs in to the Apple Store for service.

We first got the iLugger when my oldest daughter was getting her masters and she was routinely bringing her iMac with her when she drove home to visit. That box was getting beat up, and the iLugger takes up less space, and easier to handle.

http://www.ilugger.com/product/detail.cfm?nid=1460&pid=40029

/Jim

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Having the box adds value and ease of shipping for sale or repairs. Personally every device I have I keep the box. Yes it takes space but it's one of those things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.