iMac Shorted out and smoked.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by WAM2, Feb 13, 2012.

1. WAM2 macrumors 6502a

WAM2

My iMac shorted out, It Made a pop, the screen went black, and white smoke came out of the top back vent. Its under investigation by apple, and damaged some of my property. It doesnt turn back on anymore, and the nearest apple store is 2 hours away, I have to take it there now and it has a disk stuck in it also! Its the newest model and i got it a month ago. Isnt that great! :confused:

2. Macman45, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

No, not great, but all companies have the odd bad apple ( oops) in the production process, don't let this put you off...Your mac will be replaced.....Sounds like the PSU or logic board gave up.

Hope you get sorted out, but I'm sure you will....Apple customer service in my expeirience is second to none.

3. WAM2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

WAM2

But what modern Computer PSU Doesnt have Shortage Protection?? Even My Powermac G5 I Believe has it, I Have had my iMac repaired twice so they upgraded me to this one, and within a month this one is dead.. It was even on a quality surge protector.

4. leman macrumors 604

iMac has a rather decent PSU and it obviously has a shortage protection. Still, things like that happen... maybe you are just unlucky...

5. Macman45, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

You have just been unlucky. Maybe the will replace this one too. If you browse the threads here, you will see you are not alone....Apples QC is normally excellent, and whilst it's no consolation to you, most people don't suffer problems like yours.

My 27" iMac has never given me one problem, and the same goes for my MBP and MBA...The only replacement I've had is my original ATV2 which was faulty on arrival.

6. Scuba-EMT macrumors regular

Scuba-EMT

I had the same issue (with the same symptoms) with my 2010 i7 model, after two repairs I am the proud owner of a 2011 model. AppleCare will take care of you, just be polite and persistent!

7. G4er? macrumors 6502a

Don't you know that electronic devices run on smoke? When you let the smoke out they stop working. :D

(Favorite saying among amateur radio operators)

8. harcosparky macrumors 68020

hehe ....

Been a while since I heard that one, of course I have not been on the bands all that much over the last few years.