imac shortly after lion upgrade shows hd full.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by charlesisland, Nov 14, 2011.

1. charlesisland macrumors newbie

I'm not sure if it is due to the recent upgrade or I just don't understand where all the crap on my hd is coming from.

I've been searching all kinds of forums because my mac is performing terribly and I know its because the drive is full. I really don't have many pictures and movies on it and have no clue what the other category consists of. I've tried using these scanning programs that map out your drive (omni disk sweeper), but they all lock up or quit around 60g.

About my mac
    Version 10.7.2
    Processor 28 GHz Intel Cor 2 Duo
    Memory 2 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    [​IMG]

Any help or a point in the right direction is appreciated. I searched this forum already, but found nothing regarding my issues. I may be using the search tool wrong. :apple:
    Wayne

2. charlesisland thread starter macrumors newbie

3. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

Sometimes you have to do things manually.

Start at the root level of your hard drive & right click each folder and choose "get info"

Once you find the largest folder, continue to 'drill down' in to the subfolders and repeat the process of viewing the "get info" window for each subfolder until you find the folder(s) consuming the bulk of the space. Then decide what to do with the files.

More than likely you can start with the "users" folder, as most files will be in your account's folder.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

5. charlesisland thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I emptied the trash, for the longest time, the trash empties as soon as I put something in it. Probably because space is so limited. Anyway, I got an image of what eating up space. The largest bulk of it is Library/Application Support/AddressBook/Images But when I check the images folder, I don't see anything in it. At least I can see where the bulk files are. Seems things are going better now. I will post with results. Thanks

6. charlesisland, Nov 14, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2011

charlesisland thread starter macrumors newbie

Update

Ok, so I deleted 4 big movies, 1,000 plus pictures and several other home videos that were of course backed up onto disc. And this is what I get:

[​IMG]

I'm officially LOST. :confused::eek::(

I just noticed the indexing, maybe thats why its not showing good numbers above. This is the first time in years since buying a mac that I've gone through any of this.

7. charlesisland thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok following this thread I found this:

4.0K ./.adobe
    0B ./.cache
    20K ./.config
    4.0K ./.cups
    13M ./.dropbox
    0B ./.dvdcss
    2.8M ./.flTMP
    2.0M ./.fontconfig
    340K ./.local
    4.0K ./.mplayer
    4.0K ./.ssh
    980K ./.swt
    240K ./.thumbnails
    du: ./.Trash: Permission denied
    0B ./Applications
    25G ./Desktop
    1.4G ./Documents
    145M ./Downloads
    2.3G ./Dropbox
    1.8G ./Island Consulting
    8.0K ./jing

Then in the second step I found this:

wayne-ulerys-imac-4:~ wayneulery$ cd /
    wayne-ulerys-imac-4:/ wayneulery$ sudo du -d1 -h

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss
    or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your
    typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

Password:

8. Schranke macrumors 6502

Schranke

Try with daisy disk, found it to be a great app to see how my Gb are used.
    Give a good look and feel on how stuff are, and you can delete it all in the app

If this docent work, back everything up and format you HDD

9. charlesisland thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a feeling this is where I'm headed. :mad:

10. Sackvillenb macrumors 6502a

Sackvillenb

Try disk repairs from disk utility? I'm thinking there's a disk error on there somewhere.... especially since you said some of your scanning programs crash around the same mark? Good luck!

11. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

sudo gives du root level access which it needs to look into some of the "protected" folders. Unless you have been messing around, you simply should have entered your password at the prompt. It won't break anything. The warning is there to remind you to think about what you're doing, if you're executing a command that is destructive. Du reports on Disk Usage. This isn't rocket science and there is nothing to be afraid of.

12. charlesisland thread starter macrumors newbie

:mad: Wow, I've never been so fed up with my mac before. So here is an update.

Each time I delete and empty the trash large amounts of data, the spotlight reconfigures and when its all done, I have less space than when I started.

I am so completely lost!!!! This makes no sense.

[​IMG]

I haven't deleted anything more and its going through an indexing phase again.

There has to be something wrong with this thing.

13. old-wiz macrumors G3

I suspect that the file system has been munged up. Your only alternative might be to copy the stuff you need to external and do a clean install of OSx.
    edit...do you have any 3rd party software installed on the Mac that might impact the file system?

14. charlesisland thread starter macrumors newbie

Not that I'm aware of. I just reformatted and I need to figure out how to get back to lion. Apparently I have to make a stop at leopard first. I purchased both and just need to figure this out. I'm just searching now, but if anyone has a bead on this, i'd appreciate it.