iMac - Should I wait until after Christmas for 2009?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rstudios, Dec 9, 2008.

1. rstudios macrumors newbie

rstudios

Hello everyone, I'm Rob.

After much thought over the latter part of this year I've finally decided I'm going to buy an iMac. I was planning to buy one in time for Christmas but I've realised today that a new MacExpo in 2009 (is that what they're called) is likely to release a new, upgraded iMac.

Now I'd prefer to have the best iMac possible but I was also looking forward to buying one in time for Christmas. Is it certain there will be a new iMac released in January 2009 and if so should I buy now or wait? Also, does anyone know what the new features might be?

Just so you know, I'm an amature film maker and am planning on using the iMac for the usual conventions but also for video editing partly using Final Cut Express but also booting up in Windows occasionally for editing in Sony Vegas Pro 8.0.

Thanks a lot in advance!

- rstudios

2. TexasPancake macrumors newbie

Won't your life be less hectic after the holidays anyways (to do file transfers, install software, settings...)? Wait just a few more weeks =)

3. Macwick macrumors regular

Hi Rob,

I'm in exactly the same boat. I got burned recently when I bought a plastic MacBook in August, a month before the new Macbooks were released. I now want to buy an iMac, but I don't want to make the same mistake again. I'm prepared to wait until January, even if it's just a minor rev to the iMacs.

The only advantage of buying the old MacBook was that they threw in a free iPod Touch, which I was able to sell on eBay for $200. I assume they did this to get rid of existing inventory. No sign of that happening with the current iMacs though......

4. iMacmatician macrumors 601

At least wait until early next year.

We don't really know the release date of the next iMac besides that it's not this year. Most people here think January to April.

The original (update in November 2008) rumor from AppleInsider stated a "speed bump." It would be logical to think the iMacs would get a new chipset with associated CPUs. Another rumor states that Apple may release 65 W quad-core iMacs in January 2009, which would help with video editing.

Plus, in a month or two's time, we'll likely get more rumors, and more specific ones.

5. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

According to Apple's Return Policy, any non-customized orders can be returned up until January 9 (last day of MW09).

I've decided that if the new iMacs don't come by then, I'll stick with my Christmas purchase.

6. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Make sure you don't open it. You will be charged a 10% restocking fee if it's opened.

7. descartes macrumors 6502

In that case, you might as well just wait, right?

8. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

Lol...yeah...duh...unless you want to be part of Apple's storage department. :rolleyes:

9. rstudios thread starter macrumors newbie

rstudios

Thanks for the comments guys, sorry I couldn't reply sooner.

So, there's definitely a new model coming out in the first part of January '09? I guess I should wait...

- rstudios

10. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Not definitely, probably. I do agree with waiting until MWSF, though.

If there are new iMacs then, that's good.
    If there are no new iMacs but new iLife/iWork, that's also good.
    If there are no new iMacs and no new iLife/iWork, then the release date of the new iMacs is more up in the air. So then it may be best to buy in January.

11. BYmac macrumors newbie

I just received my custom 24" imac in the mail yesterday. Before opening, I heard about the likely revision next month(Jan). So I called and asked if I could switch mine for whatever they came out with in January. A manager approved the return and a full refund!(I pay the postage)
    Don't you love great customer service!

12. rstudios thread starter macrumors newbie

rstudios

Cool!

Okay, thanks a lot for the help guys. For the record, I am going to wait and get one in January, whether it be a new model or a current one if the rumour is untrue!

Thanks.

- rstudios

13. iphoner2010 macrumors member

Idk...amazon.com and macmall.com are still having their large sales on their iMacs and MB/MBPs. No one knows when these sales will seize, so maybe now is better. :apple: