iMac showing up twice???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by vbmike73, Jul 2, 2010.

1. vbmike73 macrumors regular

On my iMac, in Finder, I see "iMac (2)" under Devices. It always used to be just "iMac". And if I look at my my MacBook Pro in Finder under Shared, I see "iMac" AND "iMac (2)" and the second one seems to be the only one I can connect to. Anyone know what happened? I'm wondering if it's something simple that my 2-year-old may have done accidentally.

2. Yoshi7210 macrumors newbie

He could have copied the core folders ( Applications, Library, User, etc) twice. This is where all the computer's information is stored.

3. strausd macrumors 68030

This has happened with two computers in my house, I am wondering this as well...

4. vbmike73 thread starter macrumors regular

strausd:

Are they both iMacs or were they ever named the exact same? When exactly did this happen? Did you install something possibly? I honestly can't think of anything I did recently that could have caused this.

5. dashcs macrumors regular

Easy fix.
    If both computers have the same name.you get a number value at the end.

To change your computer name.
    System Preferences->Sharing
    On the top,you can change the computer name.

And to explain whats going on between your iMac and your macbook pro.
    Your iMac computer name is iMac
    Your macbook pro name is iMac.

How did that happen?
    Well if you migrated from your iMac to your macbook pro.It brings over the computer name.

At any rate.This is a simple fix.

6. vbmike73 thread starter macrumors regular

NOT a simple fix. Please re-read my OP. When I am on my MBP, under SHARED, I see iMac and iMac (2). If my MBP was named iMac, it would not show itself under shared. And the MBP came first. I migrated from my MBP to my iMac, so if anything, I would have two MBP names. Something else is going on here and I can't figure it out.

7. dashcs macrumors regular

Ok then,what are you saying.

Are you saying your iMac is broadcasting 2 names?
    Since you saying that your MBP has a different name.
    If you have the iMac power off and your turn on your MBP.On the finder menu side bar,do you see iMac?

Your iMac is either broadcasting 2 names.Or you have another device on your network with the same name.
    Or you have a bizarre network setup.

8. bornblind macrumors 6502

bornblind

This happen to me when I installed VineServer for VNC.

9. vbmike73 thread starter macrumors regular

My MBP is definitely name "MacBook Pro"

Now on the MBP under shared, like I said I see iMac and iMac (2). If I try to connect to iMac, I cannot. I can only connect to iMac (2), which is what actually shows up as the computer name ON my iMac. It used to be simple. On my iMac it was named iMac, and when on MBP, under shared, I only saw iMac and could connect to it no problems. Now for some reason, I see two.

I will test it like you said, power off the iMac and see what is under shared on the MBP. Good idea.

As for anything else on the network, I don't have anything. But, the only remotely possible thing I can think of is a few weeks ago, around when this started happening, my friend came over and fired up his brand new MBP. He connected to my network to get internet and that was it. But if anything, that default name would be MacBook Pro right? I can't see how a brand new MBP could have a name of iMac. Is there any other way a second MBP could have screwed this up?

10. vbmike73 thread starter macrumors regular

Did you find a fix for it? Do you have other any other Macs in the house?

11. bornblind macrumors 6502

bornblind

I showed 2 because VineServer creates it's own sharing services. So in return the first one was shown because I had native services turned on. (file sharing, screen sharing) When I installed Vine then that creates a third party screen sharing protocol and hence the showing of the 2nd computer. Do you have Vine installed?

12. vbmike73 thread starter macrumors regular

13. bornblind macrumors 6502

bornblind

Hmm don't know then. Sorry

14. strausd macrumors 68030

There are two MBPs in my house with the problem. One says the Jacks MacBook Pro (3) and the other says Karens MacBook Pro (2). No idea what is causing it, its weird.