iMac shutdown randomly and won't start back up

Discussion in 'iMac' started by slazareth, Jul 31, 2014.

1. slazareth macrumors regular

I'll try to keep this as short and sweet as possible.

1) This has happened many times (every 3-6 months) over the last 3 years I've had the iMac but I always manage to fix it after multiple attempts with Disk Warrior. Easier than a trip to the Apple Store.

2) iMac will shutdown randomly and then when I power it back on it will show the loading bar on the gray apple logo screen and then shut off before reaching 100%.

3) I boot into target disk mode and a lot of the time it won't mount the main drive (256 SSD), only the secondary drive (2TB HDD) in the imac.

4) After finally managing to get the system drive to mount I am usually able to repair it with Disk Warrior and then its good for another 3-6 months. In some of the attempts Disk Warrior will fail and say that it cannot repair the drive due to a hardware failure.

5) Currently running Mavericks, but this happened in ML and Lion as well.

So this has happened again and after many attempts of trying to get the computer to mount in target disk mode and I finally got it mounted and am currently running carbon copy cloner to backup all of my files.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? It says hardware failure at times but Disk Warrior in the past has patched things up and it runs fine for another few months.

I have an apple store appointment on Saturday and do not want to repair it so they can see it broken. I don't want them to just repair the drive with some app and send me packing as my AppleCare runs out in a few months.

Any help or thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks!

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Sounds like a failing SSD (possibly the controller).

3. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Not what you want to hear, but if I have a drive that needs to have DW run on it, that drive is replaced and smashed to bits - it can no longer be trusted.

I'd backup (as you said you're doing) and replace all drives. I'd have no confidence that what's on those drives is usable after running DW that many times.

Bottom line, I use DW to recover what I can, then the drive is gone, replaced. Typically whatever caused the issue to need DW in the first place is a hardware issue on the drive, which may be a transient issue. That is, it's going to come back and bite you at a later time, which is what it sounds like here.