Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
I was in my sketchup class tonight and I was reminded of a post I made a month ago about my friend using his iMac as a portable computer. I decided that I would post pictures of him using it in class.

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2968544

I took the picture with my camera phone and I'll try to take pictures of him using it in different situations. It is quite entertaining watching him bring it from class to class. We are architecture students so we are always in just one building and he has a studio desk he can have as a "home base". I don't know how anyone else could really get away with this in school.

I was wondering if anyone else out there had strange iMac sightings as well: where and what they were using it for.

I also counted all the other laptops in class...

1 Sony Vaio
1 Compaq
1 iBook
1 MacBook
2 PowerBooks
2 MacBook Pros (one was me, my teacher the other)
12 Dells of various kinds
and of course 1 20" iMac

Attachments

• imac.jpg
    imac.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 284

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2005
+Digg, oh wait wrong website.

I wonder how the students react when they first see him putting out his imac :)

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
I'd be scared with that on my Mac while biking! :eek:

I know! I think about that every time I see him walk in with it in the morning. I know I've wiped out mildly a couple times, and I'm not sure how the iMac would hold up to even a small crash...

When he first started bringing it to class we reacted by mostly making fun of him, but I think we are all used to it now, and some are probably jealous. In the class I took the picture he has it easier since there is a big table in the back, but I've seen him fit it on a tiny all-in-one desk. That's one of the pictures I'm really hoping to get, I just hope he brings it to that class before the term ends :).

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
I don't know. It apparently weighs 17.2 pounds, while Apple says the 20" iMac is 22 pounds. Not TOO big of a difference, especially when you're up at that weight!

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Pffft...Until someone lugs a MacPro in, accompanied by a 30" LCD, I will be yet unimpressed.

savanahrose

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2006
greer SC
That's funny, because I thought to bring my imac on my vacations with me to use it. Guess that isn't such a crazy thought after all. :p

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
Is there always a plug available for him to use? Doesn't he often find himself without power? Isn't constantly booting up a pain in the ***?

I admit, it takes some balls to ride a bike with an imac on your back.

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
Is there always a plug available for him to use? Doesn't he often find himself without power? Isn't constantly booting up a pain in the ***?

I admit, it takes some balls to ride a bike with an imac on your back.

He seems to always find a plug. Of course it limits his choices on where he can sit in the classroom. I would personally hate booting up so often. He wanted a big screen though (at a cheaper price than a 20" portable).

And as for the monstrous Dell and Acer, I have yet to actually see anyone use one of these (except the buzz on Cnet).

The crazy thing is, the iMac has a tiny footprint compared to the others. It's stand is probably even small than a 12" iBook/Powerbook. You would not be able to fit the Dell or that Acer on a small desk very easily any more than an iMac.

wchong

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2006
Miami, Fl
well at my alma mater (Univ of Florida), at the microbiology department there's a room with 50 20" imacs.

sweet eh? they use it for tests. they have students sign up for a specified time to go to the room to take tests and get their score right away.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
well at my alma mater (Univ of Florida), at the microbiology department there's a room with 50 20" imacs.

sweet eh? they use it for tests. they have students sign up for a specified time to go to the room to take tests and get their score right away.

I've used a similar one here at the Health Science Center. Nice stuff. A fairly well designed test-taking environment. :)

OwlsAndApples

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2006
UK
i've seen iMac's being schlapped to band reheasals for recording, which thinking about it is a good idea... :cool:

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
Markleshark said:
Our thoughts are with him. May Jesus help him through these though times... :(

He's goanna need more than heavenly help. Have you seen how much that thing weighs! And of course the branding of D(H)ell is upon it's cursed exterior.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.