iMac sleep/wake up

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Tbdbuckeyeitl, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Tbdbuckeyeitl, Jun 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2013

Tbdbuckeyeitl macrumors regular

How long does it take your imac to wake from sleep? Sometimes mine is instantly, while others ales five to ten seconds. Is this normal?

What the best way to leave your imac when it will not be used shut down or sleep mode???does either improve life cycle?

Also is it okay to unplug and leave the iMac unplugged for a few days if the weather is stormy(lightning).

2. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

7 to 10 secs. I have a HDD, so it's probably like under 5 with SSD's. Is it normal? Yeah, nothing bad is gonna happen, it's just slow.

A lot of people here on the forums prefer Sleep for faster times. Sleep vs Shut Down is a common discussion here, both are good but with life cycles it's hard to say, if you shutdown your Mac every day it could wear the HD but computer Sleep draws slightly more power than Shut Down.

So both have their ups and downs. Personally, i use Sleep more because of the crazy long boot time.

Go ahead. Just Shut Down your Mac first ;)

3. imac275 macrumors member

I have noticed that my late-2012 iMac usually takes about 5 seconds from pressing a key on the keyboard to actually entering my password.

On my old 2008 iMac, it was instant. I was running an SSD on that one in the end (Fusion in my new one), but I remember it being instant even when it had the original HDD.

I always leave my iMac on 24/7. The boot on this one is very fast, but I have just got into the habit of leaving it on, so I will continue to do so.