iMac Sleep

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Rhyalus, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Rhyalus, Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2015

Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

Hello All,

My question is specific to my new iMac. I am a long time MBP user, so I have a good grip on sleep issues and what the system does.

On the iMac, there is a choice for time to "display sleep" in the energy saver options - is this the same as system sleep, or is it truly just the display?

The core question is, how do I control the timing for which the entire system chooses to sleep - other than putting the system to sleep manually (clicking apple icon, selecting sleep)... is there a GUI control or do I need to set sleep from the command line?

Here are my pmset results:

Currently in use:
    standby 1
    Sleep On Power Button 1
    womp 0
    halfdim 1
    hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage
    darkwakes 0
    autorestart 0
    networkoversleep 0
    disksleep 10
    sleep 0
    autopoweroffdelay 14400
    hibernatemode 0
    autopoweroff 1
    ttyskeepawake 1
    displaysleep 30
    standbydelay 10800

Thanks,
    R

2. Rhyalus thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

Hello all... Does anyone know when your iMac actually goes to sleep? Is my question overly difficult or overly silly?

Thanks,
    R

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

If you're referring to a late-2013 or later iMac, which use Haswell processors, 'Turn display off after x minutes' refers to both powering off the display and sleeping the computer. It's the same as system sleep.

On all Haswell computers, display sleep and system sleep are together.

When the display sleeps, the system sleeps together with it.

Myself, I always check the option to prevent system sleep when the display goes to catch some 'z's.

4. Rhyalus thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

Many thanks... but by doing the above, aren't you preventing the system from going to sleep altogether, unless you select sleep manually? Is that why you do that?

R

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I don't want system sleep to happen at all, so I checked that option. I always let my projects render and transcode while I'm away. Quite a lot of the time, my work requires non-stop rendering for 3 straight days in the background.

Leave it unchecked if you want the system to go to sleep when the display sleeps as well.