Imac 'sleeps' whilst streaming

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Robot Man, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Robot Man macrumors newbie

Wotcha folks,

Now had our new iMac week and I remain mightily impressed. Some nice new touches in Leopard too (previously on Tiger).

However, one minor niggle: when streaming video (like via BBC Iplayer) the computer tries to sleep after about 15 minutes. Is there any way that you can stop it doing this rather than going into system preferences each time before I start streaming?

'Sleeping' after 15 minutes is fine for everything else, just annoying when watching stuff.

Cheers!

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Is the computer sleeping or is the display just going to sleep? If the computer is sleeping, there should be a light somewhere which strobes; if the display is asleep, the light will stay a constant brightness.

3. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

If you go to System Preferences-->Energy Saver you can set the amount of time before the computer and the display sleep to whatever you want.

4. Robot Man thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers folks,

What I really want to know is if I can keep it 'sleeping' when nothing happens after 15 mins but stop it doing it when streaming video (as the machine is having to think about something I would have thought it shouldn't be going into sleep mode). I'd like to avoid having to go into the 'Energy Saver' bit of system prefs each time.