IMac slow as molasses

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jeffcp, Sep 30, 2011.

1. jeffcp macrumors newbie

I am operating a IMAC Snowleapord OSX 10.6.8 When I first go on line the first 1 or 2 web sites load fairly fast but after that it gets very very slow. When I click to open a site sometimes my status says "stopped" then after after around 10 to 15 seconds it will say waiting then transferring data. The little blue progress bar usually goes to 1/4 waits 15 seconds then 1/2 another 15 seconds or more then 3/4 another wait and then almost to 100% but the last 10% takes 20 or 30 seconds to finally load. I have checked for viruses with Norton and have found none. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. malias4 macrumors 6502

malias4

Go to ur application folder and then utilities - disc utility and do verify disk and then repair disk permisions!
    maybe that willl help:)

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

To me it sounds like it's running out of RAM. While you are doing normal work open Activity Monitor and click the System Memory tab. Check to see how much FREE RAM it has, when it slows down check again. A rule of thumb is if it has 500MB or less or FREE RAM then it's time for a RAM upgrade.

4. jeffcp thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

I uninstalled Norton and all of my add-ons This seemed to help.I started at around 950 mb free and after I uninstalled it went to 730mb at the moment. But it seems to work a bit faster. Thank you all for your help. Do you think more RAM would help it along even more?

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"I uninstalled Norton and all of my add-ons This seemed to help.I started at around 950 mb free and after I uninstalled it went to 730mb at the moment. But it seems to work a bit faster. Thank you all for your help. Do you think more RAM would help it along even more?"

Some suggestions:
    - Get rid of Norton (you already did)

- Free up space by throwing out unneeded stuff. You need about 10-15% of your total drive space to be "free" for the OS to do its thing with invisible "swap files", etc.

- Add memory. 4gb should be sufficient. I've had good experiences buying from datamem.com, and their prices are very competitive.

- Once you have space freed up, consider defragging/optimizing as well. I'd suggest "iDefrag" -- it works and it's reasonably priced. The defragging tool in "Drive Genius" works well, too. (Note - IGNORE what others may say as to "not needing to defrag with OS X" -- you need to properly defrag and optimize ALL systems).

- Get a tool like "Oynx" that cleans out logs, runs periodic maintenance, etc.

6. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Also, consider backing up and then installing Lion. Its search function can identify files above any limit you set, so you might find some space hogs on your disks such as logs. I did a clean up after switching to Lion and found useless files that were more than 10 years old....