iMac slow, sluggish on wakeup...what's new?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by chuck.h, Jul 3, 2011.

1. chuck.h macrumors newbie

After 30 years of PCs, I purchased my first Mac computer, the 21.5" 3i, in January. I like many things about it, but recovering from sleep is not one of it's virtues. After leaving it over night, it takes about 40 minutes for my Imac to get back to what I would consider normal speed. From what I can tell, this is a problem with Apple computers, notebooks and desktops, that goes back at least five years, and for which there is no permanent solution. Or if there is a solution, Apple has not seen fit to implement it.

2. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

Haven't seen that, although the only thing I put to sleep on my iMac is the display. Don't see the need to put the entire machine to sleep, the electricity use is minimal with the display asleep, and wake-up is nearly instantaneous. And with the hard drive always running it seems to last forever.

3. Squicken macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Havent noticed that at all, my 2006 Mini is ready to go immediatly after waking.

4. jaglad macrumors member

That is certainly not right!

I have owned every type of mac that Apple has offered from the G4 Mac Mini, through to a 8 core MacPro, I change my setup often and not one of my macs has ever had that problem. My current iMac takes maybe 30 seconds when woken from sleep before its totally operational but thats because the WD Caviar Black drive that is in it takes a few seconds to spin up.

My i5 Macbook Pro on the other hand is ready as soon as you open the lid.

I think a call to Apple is in order.

5. chuck.h thread starter macrumors newbie

According to Apple forums....

many users have been experiencing exactly this problems for many years. The MacRumours forum and Apple's own user forum have threads discussing this slow-to-wake-up problem for many years.

6. jaglad macrumors member

Well I am talking from my own personal experience, and I cant believe that if it is such a wide spread issue that apple wouldnt have addressed it by now.

I am not saying you dont have a problem nor other people round the world, but I dont think it would hurt for you to get it checked out.

7. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

Hi Chuck.

I've got a mid-2010 iMac with i3. Sounds like you have a late 2010 iMac with i3. From a manual switch, my iMac starts under 30 seconds. From an "inactivity" sleep state, my iMac takes 5 seconds to fully wake. After that, all is great.

To ensure faster startup time, one might want to select their internal HDD as its Startup drive. re: http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w251/Spike99-Pictures/New iMac system/iMacStartUp.png

Hope this helps...