Imac Slow

Discussion in 'iMac' started by prosty41, Mar 31, 2012.

1. prosty41 macrumors member

Hello,

After a few years of hounding, I finally talked my inlaws into switching from PC to Mac. They just bought the 27 inch i5. They only got 4 gig's of ram. I just ordered an extra 8 but it has not come in the mail yet.

The issue is that the imac is slow. After I told them how sweet the machine is they are running it and it just is not very fast. We imported 15,000 photos into iphoto and it is very choppy. When scrolling through the progam it stops and is very unresponsive. The internet is slow too. I did a speed test and we are running at almost 15 mbps.

So, my question is, is this a ram issue? or what is the deal?

Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top). Also, click on the System Memory tab at the bottom. Then take a screen shot, scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot and post them.

If a drive is constantly active or your CPU utilization is high (possibly with increased temps and fan speed) when you're not running any major apps, you can check to see if Spotlight is indexing by looking at the Menu Bar icon:
    [​IMG] (not indexing)
    [​IMG] (indexing) (pulsing dot)​
    When it's indexing, you may also see increased CPU and RAM usage by the mds and mdworker processes in Activity Monitor.

Performance Tips For Mac OS X

3. prosty41 thread starter macrumors member

Ok thank you. I will be back at thier house tomorrow and i will post

4. prosty41 thread starter macrumors member

/Users/careyhorton/Desktop/Screen Shot 2012-04-01 at 5.17.49 PM.png/Users/careyhorton/Desktop/Screen Shot 2012-04-01 at 5.18.19 PM.png

5. prosty41 thread starter macrumors member

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

In the future, it helps if the list is sorted in descending order by CPU usage as recommended, but these work fine for now. I don't see anything out of line in what you're running. No excessive CPU or RAM usage, no page outs, no indexing. Did you go through the performance tips I posted? Were you experiencing the same slowness issue at the time those screen shots were taken?