iMac slowing down

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wvuwhat, Jul 24, 2012.

1. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I have a 24" iMac 2.66 Core 2 Duo, 4 GB ram, 640GB HD.

I keep iTunes, Twitter app, Chrome, Mail, and Finder open at all times. For about the last 3 weeks I've been noticing an excess of spinning beach balls. A LOT more spinning beach balls.

Also, tried to help a family member out by enhancing her photos in Photoshop and it kept hanging up, basically Photoshop and other CS programs are now useless on here.

I only have about 30GB's left in my stock HD and have been putting everything on an external for a few months.

Also, I have been noticing that my internet hangs up, never did that before. I have FiOs 25/5. Never had a problem before, but since their Quantum debuted, it's been a problem. (Throttling?)

I'm not happy how things are working now, do I need a new computer, or do I need a new internet plan? Or, both? I cleared out non-essential applications a few months ago.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

A few things to try first.

1) Empty your Safari or browser cache ( file menu)

2) Performa PRAM re-set:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

Run Disk Utility, and perform a verify first, followed bu a permission check then a permissions repair.

You are a little low on RAM, and VERY low on HDD space...In Activity monitor check your page outs (See image)

Attached Files:

• PO.png
      PO.png
      File size:
      148.6 KB
      Views:
  3. wvuwhat thread starter macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Thank you. I clear my cache ever Friday, so that's not the problem, but will have to try a PRAM re-set.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'm guessing your page outs are high? Adding another 4GB of RAM might help you.

5. wvuwhat thread starter macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Here's what I'm dealing with.

Attached Files:

6. wvuwhat thread starter macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I'm sure it would, but I'm not willing to add it to this machine.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yep, adding more RAM if you feel like spending the $$ would probably help you a lot...It's not too expensive, and is an easy job. That and maybe moving more stuff from your HDD to an external? You could use an external drive for your iTunes and photo libraries....That would free up a lot of space too.

8. wvuwhat thread starter macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I don't have a problem spending money, I have a 2 TB drive I've partitioned, half movie's, half "Time Machine" backup of this computer.

I don't want to lose the movies I've saved, nor the other half which has the documents/apps (only CS4) I want to save.

How do I buy a new Mac with a SSD without losing what I have on here?

9. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Just move all your music / movies / photos etc. to the external.

If you have accurate TM backups your good to clean out the old MAc, re-install the OS and sell it. All your Apps can be downloaded again via the "Purchased" Tab in the app store, and in iTunes. If you want a complete image you could use Carbon Cloner or Super Duper, but with ML out today that's kind of pointless. Just make sure your Backups are good.