iMac slowing down

Discussion in 'iMac' started by phil87, Sep 8, 2013.

1. phil87 macrumors newbie

My 3 year old iMac, (3.06 Ghz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 12 GB Ram, OS X 10.8.2, Internet Provider AT&T) is noticeably slowing down, when it comes to loading web pages. Is there anything I can do to speed it up, as it was when I bought it? :confused:

2. Sanatogen macrumors member

Sanatogen

Might I suggest perhaps doing a cleaning of junk files. That could help.

3. GGJstudios, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're having performance issues, this may help:
    Getting rid of files on your drive will have no effect on performance, unless the drive is almost full.

4. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Not trying to worry you, but I had the same "slowing-down" issues days before my mid-2007 iMac's HD died. Your iMac is way newer than mine but it might be a good time for you to to a full backup -- just in case. FYI I ran a SMART status scan the day before it finally died and it passed without concern.

It only makes sense that if your HD is having trouble reading/writing/seeking it would manifest itself as slow performance.

5. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

I followed the suggestions in GGJstudios link and checked out my LaunchAgents folder. Guess what I found:

com.zeobit.MacKeeper.Helper

Man that MacKeeper is insidious! I have avoided it like the plague and have never installed it, so I'd like to know how this ended up on my system.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You may want to search your system for "zeobit" and "MacKeeper" using the following instructions. The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion: