iMac + Snow Leopard + Adobe CS4 = not a good combination?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sourskittle, Sep 21, 2009.

1. sourskittle macrumors newbie

Hello all!
    2 weeks ago I bought the new iMac 2.66GHz, 4GB RAM, and am absolutely in love with it!

It came with Leopard (I bought it in Dubai so I have to buy the upgrade separately, don't know how it works elsewhere) so I upgraded to Snow Leopard and it was still working smoothe..

Then a few days later of installing SnowLeopard I installed Adobe CS4, not everything just Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver and Flash.

Now my computers gone down to 50% of how fast applications would load, the display takes a good 3 minutes to wake up (before I would just press a key and it would zip on' and even then takes a minute to function without the colorful spinning wheel to show it's loading, even then loads applications slow, I hover over my dock and the magnification has a delay, little annoying things like that

I tend to have one or 2 adobe apps open at the same time when I'm working

My habits: I dont quit the adobe app, I'll leave it open, and I never let my computer sleep since I am usually downloading or leave my Adium signed in

Are these (I guess bad) habits causing my computer to slow down? I wouldve thought my iMac would be able to handle a few apps open!

Please help, thank you :)

2. tmacdjd macrumors newbie

Howdy!

Im in the same boat as you regarding a new iMac, same as yours, 2.66GHz with 4GB Ram. lovin it also.

I use the CS4 applications through work and love them, had to throw them on my iMac immediately.

I too leave my InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator open but have not experienced any issues. I know there are some people who have problems running SL and CS3 but not CS4 as mine works like a dream.

My iMac came with Snow Leopard pre-installed so wether this is the difference or not i dont know. shouldn't be an issue.

Do you boot in 64 bit mode? have you tried that?

3. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

Hi,

I'm posting this for information only and you should respond only if you want to. I'm not suggesting that you have done anything wrong and I am certainly not condoning software piracy. From the wording in your post I would conclude that you are in fact a CS4 licence holder but I don't want to blindly assume this to be true. I, by the way, don't use CS4 as my simple needs are met by iPhoto.

Having got my disclaimers out of the way, I have heard reports that some copies of CS4 available via Torrent sites have been infected with viruses. Obviously when (and if) you install a program downloaded from a torrent site you can't be sure that it is clean so if this situation applies to you then I would suggest uninstalling CS4 and doing a thorough scan of your machine to eliminate any infection. In particular be aware that some trojans modify your DNS settings so that your web traffic can be intercepted easily. Really the only way to be sure of cleaning your machine is to revert to an earlier backup.

As I said at the start, please don't be offended if you are a valid licence holder for CS4.

Regards,
    Craig.

4. tmacdjd macrumors newbie

Well put craig,

Agree 100%

My CS4 is fully licensed (Via work's license lol)
    I wouldn't trust any torrent software so if that is what the main poster has then that could well be the issue.

5. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

Thanks, I was in two minds about posting as I didn't want to offend anyone, didn't want to appear too righteous but at the same time didn't want to ignore this possibility.

Also, I can understand the temptation for many users to want to give CS4 a try but can't justify the high cost (like me). Photoshop in particular is a household name even though a typical household user won't even scratch the surface of it's functionality and would be much better off with iPhoto or similar.

Combine this wish to try CS4 with the high cost and possibly the impression that Mac security will protect them from rogue torrents and all hell can break loose!

In my opinion, Adobe should produce a CS4 "Personal" edition in place of the "Elements" software products. That way non-professional users will be more likely to buy a copy of "CS4" legally (and cheaply) and not feel like they are missing out on something. Maybe even set the software up so that the professional features are available for the first hour after startup and then disable for the rest of the day. Non-professionals will play with these features once or twice and then go back to red-eye removal and cropping and rotating. Meanwhile Adobe will get some revenue and enhance the brand even further.

Me, I'll stick with iPhoto 'cause it can crop and rotate and remove red-eye just fine!! ;)

Craig.

6. sourskittle thread starter macrumors newbie

hi all!

thanks for your responses, i am of course not offended that you asked if i d/led it since it makes sense to ask! i have bought my adobe suite, its actually the middle east version which i should have mentioned since that might be the problem, this is the link:

http://www.winsoft-international.com/en/products/adobe-design-premium.html

i need to type in arabic alot so i bought this version instead of the normal one, maybe they still have some knacks to sort out since when i had my cs3 middle east version, it was also choppy until the upgrades..

i booted in 64 mode to check if it makes a difference, seems smoothe so far! will update :)

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That's why I download the trial from app's website and then get the serial from torrent/serial sites :p No possibility of viruses or trojans but 100% working and free :cool:

CS4 is working as it was on Leopard, no difference

8. tmacdjd macrumors newbie

Sourskittle, Glad the 64 boot suggestion of mine is working ok for you currently, long live the CS4 application smoothness.

Craig, this "Personal" version you are suggesting is pretty much Elements lol.
    I doubt that the "Average Joe user" of Elements doesnt feel there missing out on much as im sure many of them wouldn't know what there missing in the first place. Pretty much everything a small user of photoshop would need is in elements. therefore "Personal".