iMac Snow Leopard Reinstallation Problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by helpmyimac, Jul 29, 2010.

1. helpmyimac macrumors newbie

Today, I decided to reinstall Mac OS X Snow Leopard on my iMac, to have a fresh & new copy of Mac OS. I've done this before on my Macbook, and it worked perfectly.

The iMac would not read the original Reinstall DVD that came with it. Instead, it would eject it, though it would work it on another Mac. But when I inserted my Snow Leopard disk that I bought separately, it worked.

However, when I entered the reinstall screen, it is extremely slow and I nearly can't use it. I did already use the Disk Utility to erase the hard disk files. So, it is extremely slow, and it wouldn't install either. All I get is the amour of time left, but it doesn't change, just gives me a waiting spinning wheel. It's been stuck on the screen for several hours.

The iMac was bought in January, I believe. What should I do?? This is very weird. Should I take it to the Apple Store, or is there a way to fix it?

2. Mike Macintosh macrumors regular

Mike Macintosh

Hear about this problem all the time, apparently it sounds like you have a bad Disk drive, and I would usually ask to check this with a video DVD and Audio CD and see if the problem occurs with those.

However since you have totally erased Snow Leopard on your HDD this theory can't be tested til you have a successful reinstallation of the OS, I would just take to Apple and see what they have to say about it.

3. helpmyimac thread starter macrumors newbie

I watched a DVD movie on the iMac before the reinstall, it worked perfectly... Any other ideas, other than taking to Apple?

Some more information… It says Time Remaining: 30 minutes, and the blue line is animating, but not moving, and nothing changes… I've tried to restart the installation several times.

4. Mike Macintosh macrumors regular

Mike Macintosh

Well I did a complete google look, and although this is odd, it could be 2 things and backing me up on it being a optical drive issue.

1. Bad Media and the disk may be faulty, which in your case I doubt since you tried with the copy that shipped with your Mac as well as a full retail version in which both had a prob.

or 2. A faulty or dirty Disk Drive like I said which is having trouble reading media of the same format, hence why your Retail and Shipped Copy that came with your computer is not working properly or not at all with your machine.

Some people have fixed this with a simple spray of compressed air, although I really don't recommend doing that personally.

I still suggest Apple is your best bet at fixing the prob at hand, or you can just leave it at this time and "Remote install" from another computer in the house, although I would get it looked at preferably before your Applecare ends.

5. javier30 macrumors newbie

solution

I too had this problem....I tried everything...reformating, verifying disc holding optiom+ c....even bathing the install disk......Solution????????????????????????....I bought an external dvd drive(usb) Inserted disk and wham......try it , post and share with the world!!!!!!