iMac... so tempting and beautiful.. need support on buying decision.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kormaster, Jan 4, 2008.

1. kormaster macrumors newbie

Hello. Ive been drooling over the iMac at the Apple Store. Ive been a PC windows user ever since the Intel 286, 486, Pentium evolution, AMD stuff.. been there and done that... Ive built all my PCs in the past.. but I dont like how MS is doing with the whole Vista OS thing.... and been thinking about switching to the Mac world.

Few consideration:
    1) Amazon has Apple iMac Desktop with 24" Display MA878LL/A (2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 320 GB Hard Drive, SuperDrive) for $1794 - $100 MIR valid through 1/7/08 and i get no tax in my state i believe - Best deal so far??

20 in version for $1195 and no rebate. (almost $600 difference!)

2) Apple Store guys told me if i upgrade the RAM myself, I would VOID the warranty.. true? seems like its just one screw on the bottom and you can access the ram slots... hmm.. and any SODIM 667mhz ram would work right?

3)Amazon seem to ship it out with "TIger" OS.. not the new Leopard ..an issue? I have no idea what the major difference is since im new to Mac OS world.

4) Apple care seem to be a MUST for most of you guys so I would assume that i should get one either on ebay or amazon and I have one full year coverage? COuld i take it to local Apple Store if i have issues?

Ill be using this comp as just surf, email, music, picture editting(amature level) stuff with my wife. I dont play games anymore and I just want simplistic machines that my wife will be able to use on a daily basis ( thus another consideration for Mac product)

Friends, please give me some support on my decision on this buy...
    THank you in advance.

-David-

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

sounds like the 20 inch would be a better value for you. if you can afford it and don't mind spending the extra dough the 24 inch is well worth the money.

if you buy ram from someplace other than apple, install that and if you have a problem where you need to take it in just put the stuff apple shipped it with back in if you are worried. its really not that big of deal unlike what the salesman was trying to scare you with.

im pretty sure amazon ships with leopard. if they don't you may want to look into that. tiger is great but if you can get leopard pre-installed on your computer or at least shipped in the box you would be better off.

i think most people here would agree and hold off on the apple care. you have a year. if that year comes up and you feel as though you should protect your investment from anything than i strongly suggest looking into applecare. you can find it on ebay for a fraction of the cost of what apple tries to sell you at.

3. kormaster thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your reply. Ive been reading alot about reviews and dilemas that other potential buyers are having....

I guess people are telling others to wait until the Macworld announces all the new stuff for the upcoming year. But as people predict any changes in the iMac would be 1) video card 2) Blue-Ray option 3) maybe a newer intel chip

But those things dont bother me that much.. as long as this new iMac can withhold the test of time for... 2-3 years.... im fine.. ;)

4. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I hear that advice in here a lot but I have to say I personally wouldn't even bother with that. Adding or replacing RAM in your Mac most certainly does not void any warranties. The guy that said that was an idiot. They outline the process of adding RAM in the iMac manual.

It sounds like the machine the OP is looking at is the exact one I'm using. I upgraded it to 4GB and I am loving it. Go for it.

As for Applecare read the full debate going on this thread: I'm a big believer in it. Sure, wait until the one year limited warranty is up if you like but I definitely recommend going for it. If you're worried you're not going to be keeping the machine for the full 3 years of coverage just remember that having Applecare significantly increases its resale value.

eBay is good if you're a fan of auctions but the cheapest retail price on AppleCare out there is from L.A. Computer: http://www.lacomputercompany.com/cgi-bin/rpcart/featured.cgi?group=appcare

5. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Don't forget when you compare the 1200 dollar iMac that you are getting a 2.0GHz machine a 250GB hard disk drive, a 128MB video card, not to mention the smaller display which is a TN quality panel, not an H-IPS quality.

6. kormaster thread starter macrumors newbie

oh... i didnt even know notice the different spec... hmm $1799 seems to be my choice for now.. i have 3 days to decide :D

SaSaSushi: Thank you for those link!!

7. pscoble macrumors 6502

No updates will be coming in MW08 most likely. 1) Video card won't get an update, doesn't need one either. 2) Not yet. 3) Maybe ...this is the only area I could see an update too with the new chips coming.

8. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Probably most people here would, but I don't. If you think you want Applecare then buy it while it is only a small fraction of your total expense. A year from now you will have a hundred reasons to spend the money on something else. Also, many people who want Applecare forget to buy it until after the first year expires. Then it is too late.

Like RAM, you do not have to buy Applecare from Apple. The cheapest place is LA Computer. BTW, adding RAM, or anything else, to your computer doesn't void the warranty unless you break something while doing it.

I think an iMac will suit you well. Best wishes.

9. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in to the pile.

When Steve Jobs announced the new iMacs, in his keynote speech, he made a pretty big deal about how easy it is for the consumer to install extra RAM. Therefore, I find it highly unlikely that it will void the warranty (also, in my works 20" iMac, the manual detailed how to install the RAM) and it's just undoing one screw, pop the RAM in, and that's that.

I went to an Apple store to look at the new Macs because I wanted the 24" iMac, but after seeing it, I found that it was really far too big and bright and it gave me a headache just looking at it (although, I know you can adjust the brightness, just didn't wanna mess with the one in store too much).

Apple care is an excellent value for money component. The great thing about Apple products is, that no matter where you buy them, you can always take them to an Apple Store for repair or advice, etc.

Apple also have an excellent track record of excellent customer service so if you've been tempted for a while, I'd go for it. (You can even install Windows if you struggle with Mac OSX).

Lastly, if you purchase a Mac before a certain date, and it ships with Tiger, you can order a Leapoard upgrade from www.apple.com or over the phone for $9.95

10. MrGeePee macrumors regular

They'll be no updates until at least August 2008.

Go for the 24" if you can, its gorgeous!

11. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

I would suggest you don't take this advice. I started a thread on this topic, and many people thought that there is a very good chance the iMac would get updated (graphics card and processor) either at Macworld, or (more likely) within a month afterwards.

Macworld's own Mac Buyer's Guide suggests that you "Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle" because the iMac has an average update period of 185 days, and it was last updated 151 days ago. You can find that page here: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iMac

You can buy it today, and you will likely be 100% happy. I, personally, am going to wait until atleast the end of January to make my purchase. I think the odds of it being updated in August is VERY unlikely. It would be almost double the amount of time between updates in the past! I truly doubt it will take that long... expecially now that Apple uses Intel chips, and the new mobile Penryn processors are being released tomorrow (the 6th of January) at CES.

I would atleast wait until the 15th, if that kind of stuff worries you.

12. kormaster thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your advice. I guess it doesnt kill me to wait a little longer... plus i just read up some threads about 6 bit 20in vs 8 bit 24in screen... $300 difference comparing two systems with same spec but diff screen size. Definately will a week until the macworld. Who knows... if they release new Intel Chipset inside the iMac, maybe current system will get abit cheaper?

13. andejp12 macrumors member

I was just in the same boat about tryinng to decide which system to get and in the process where I could find one the cheapest. But I'm going to try and answer your 5 questions again:

1) Amazon does have the $100 MIR but Apple also has refurbs which are basically the same as new from them. They have the same warranty and they've had whatever might have been wrong with them replaced and then they are re-certified. As for the 20-inch the most basic one doesn't have as much video memory (and a lower end graphics processor), is a 2.0 GHz machine, has less HD space, and the screen isn't the same quality.

2)I'm 99% sure that upgrading the RAM won't void the warranty. I'm going to be doing it shortly after my iMac comes in the mail (ordered last Thursday).

3)Try to make sure that you're getting Leopard. Otherwise it'll be another $130 out of your pocket and it's worth it simply because there are enough changes under the hood that software will most likely have a requirement for it eventually.

4)Honestly I'm not sure. I'm most likely going to be picking up Applecare simply because I know that the iMac is essentially a non portable notebook and as such it doesn't have too many user replaceable parts.

Also try to make room in your budget for an external hard drive to make use of Timemachine and have your new iMac backed up without you doing anything fancy.

I bought my iMac last week simply because I found the high end 24-inch in the apple refurb store online and it brought the price below $2000 and I don't believe that anything at MacWorld Expo will make me really regret my decision as the new processors really don't offer anything more than some more L2 cache (but it's really not too much more than the C2D EE to begin with).

Enjoy your new machine and if I've learned anything since coming to this site it's that there are many answers here and if they aren't here already then just ask as the people are great :).

Also I know what you're going through considering the switch from PC as this is my first Mac (although I've been using my girlfriend's iBook when I'm at her house since she bought it in 2004).

14. eddx macrumors regular

eddx

I upgraded the memory with third party memory and the message I got in the store is upgrade the memory and hard drive and your Apple Care / warranty is NOT void but you might want to take out the third party hardware before bringing it into the store if there is an issue.

Translating - do what you want but make sure you can put it back to how you purchased it if you break it because third party technologies are obviously not covered by Apple Care.