iMac solution

Discussion in 'iMac' started by socram, Feb 13, 2015.

1. socram macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, i have a problem whit my sister iMac from 2011, she forgoten the username and password and she dont have the invoice anymore, is there any way to pass through that?Everytime i start the iMac and press and hold R + option keys to format the hardrive it shows a screen whit a locked and space to put some password, its possible to open the iMac and change bios our take the hardrive and format from outside our any another way??

2. Bomb Bloke macrumors regular

Bomb Bloke

The padlock screen you're seeing implies the unit is locked down with an EFI password. These prevent the unit from booting from any other drive than the default. The EFI password may be the same as your sister's account password, but it doesn't have to be: it could be anything.

With older Macs, it's possible to remove the EFI password yourself, with a bit of know-how. From 2011 on, you're pretty much stuck with having an Apple-authorised service provider doing it for you - assuming you can't figure out what that password is.

3. socram thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks, just one more thing, the EFI password its just numbers our is numbers and letters?

4. Bomb Bloke macrumors regular

Bomb Bloke

It can be either or both - whatever the person who created the password decided to set it to.