iMac sound distortion

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Graphirus, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Graphirus macrumors newbie

Hello everybody,

I hope I can find here some answers to a damn ****** problem that is driving me crazy. I am a guy that loves listening to music and I have a pretty decent music setup... I used to be a Windows guy and I was very happy managing my library on Winamp and getting excelent HiFi quality from quality soundcards.

Anyways, since changing to an iMac I've been annoyed by the quality of the sound I'm hearing from it (though I couldn't really tell since a few weeks ago when we finished some remodeling at home). The thing is that I hear distortion on high volume passages of music, sometimes on the woofer too... typical clipping. No matter what music/sound player you use the distortion is still there.

My brother, a sound engineer, told me to do some tests to the iMac soundcard. After showing him the results he said that the mac soundcard was crap, distorted a lot and so on...

I bought a Prodigy Cube external soundcard thinking that with an external soundcard my days of bad sound from my iMac were going to be over... what a mistake!! I hear the same annoying distortion! How can it be?? The only possible explanation is that OS X is simply distorting/colouring the sound signal even before sending it to the sound device!

Please guys, helppp!!! I don't know what else to do and everyday listening to my music sounding like crap makes me feel like killing everybody around me :eek:

Thanks!

2. antman2x2 macrumors 6502a

3. Graphirus thread starter macrumors newbie

Speaker malfunctioning was the first thing that I discarded: they sound just fine connected to my MP3 player, to my wife's macbook pro, to my notebook, or to any other device capable of delivering sound...

4. kman11 macrumors newbie

I had issues with distortion on my iMac when playing music through iTunes. After turning down the preamp (Window -> Equalizer) it went away. Not sure if this helps or not.

5. curtisinoc macrumors 6502

(Not sure if this is an answer you're looking for . . .) but, I also love to listen to music from my iMac/iTunes. Instead of using the 3.5mm headphone jack on back of iMac, I choose to use an external usb dac/amp - which bypasses the iMac's internal dac/soundcard. I have my headphones connected to the dac/amp and it sounds WAAAAAYYYY better.

6. Graphirus thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, but I forgot to mention that I listen to FLAC files and don't use iTunes at all...

7. J3ayy macrumors member

I have Bose speakers connected to my IMac WOW they sound great :D