Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

David-fr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Bay Area
hi, i was looking at the imac and mac mini and saw that they don't optical out, only minijack, my dad will buy me a new computer since my powerpc is dying and i connect it to a hometheater and it sounds wow! but the only current mac that has optical out is the MacPro is not that kinda disapointing?

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
hi, i was looking at the imac and mac mini and saw that they don't optical out, only minijack, my dad will buy me a new computer since my powerpc is dying and i connect it to a hometheater and it sounds wow! but the only current mac that has optical out is the MacPro is not that kinda disapointing?

Could you use some sentences? What you wrote makes no sense.

kvasir

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2007
They do have optical audio out.

http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html

It reads:
Headphone/optical digital audio output (minijack)
Audio line in/optical digital audio input (minijack)

The port is combined to save space. The mini has it; heck, my old MBP had it. The only thing that is disappointing is that you didn't spend two seconds to verify this on the Apple website.

(I'm not usually mean. This is just silly.)

kvasir

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2007
...how do you combine a mini-pin jack and an optical cable?

Call Apple's engineers. It's pretty neat though, saves them from having to use another port for optical out.

Don't a lot of people use minis for HTPC setups? I'm sure many of them use the optical out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.