iMac speakers vs. old sound system

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Gleemen, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Gleemen macrumors regular

My 27" iMac comes in tomorrow and I was wondering If I should use my Edifier prisma speakers that I got 3 or 4 years ago. Wasn't sure if the sound quality of the speakers would be better then the new iMac. I tried to find the year I got the speakers to make it easier to compare but no luck. Was hoping someone could help me figure it out.

This is the the 2010 (my best guess as to when I got it) specs:
    2.1 channel speaker
    RMS 32W + 9W x 2
    pyramid shaped downward firing subwoofer
    wired controller with red Halo style design power indicator includes headphone jack, and AUX input for MP3, and CD players.
    Magnetically Shielded Satellites and Subwoofer
    5 inch subwoofer, 2¾ inch oval shaped mid-range, 19mm PV dome tweeter, all magnetically shielded
    Built in headphone and MP3 player input jacks on the wired controller

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Bear macrumors G3

"Sounds better" is subjective. Since you already have the speakers, I suggest you try them on the iMac and see whether you prefer the sound from the Edifier speakers of the built-in speakers.

3. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

And please report back, I am thinking of adding a small external speaker unit onto my new 2013 iMac so would be useful to have a reference point.

4. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

I hooked my iMac up to an old 5.1 system that I had lying around and it's really a big change. I appreciate the iMac's speakers for being there, but really, you can't expect a lot out of a speaker constrained to that form factor's geometry.

Partner just got a nice bluetooth speaker for his MacBook Pro from Brookstone. Also sounds very nice, for a "single" speaker box.

5. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

6. dangerly macrumors regular

IMHO: Almost any decent external sound system is better than the iMac's built in speaker system.

7. blanka macrumors 68000

Grab a Dayton Audio T-Amp: hidden treasure! And start with some quick find bookshelf speakers, and update in the future as you wish. Why settle for PC-speaker sets when you CAN have HiFi.