iMac speakers

Discussion in 'iMac' started by TheMacPotato, Nov 17, 2012.

1. TheMacPotato macrumors member

Anyone any idea what the speakers will be like in the new iMac? One of the of the good things about iMacs has always been decent speakers. The current ones are great because there is room to have a pair of speakers pointing down underneath the screen. The new form doesn't seem to allow room for good speakers that point in the direction of the user.

2. Siderz macrumors 6502a

That's what it seems, but according to Apple, the speakers have been much improved.

As quoted from the website:

Scroll down to Audio and visual - http://www.apple.com/uk/imac/features/

3. TheMacPotato thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, it might work. I guess the bass sound doesn't need to be facing you, so that can be in bulge at the back of display. Be good to hear them in-store when they are finally released!

4. Siderz macrumors 6502a

In-store might be difficult with loads of people walking around and talking etc., worth a try though I guess.

5. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

Seems like the speaker assembly is larger on the new iMac. They never actually pointed down on any of the intel/g5 models. The speakers recently were all 1" or 2" drivers with a tiny tweeter. What made them shine was the assembly design. Hopefully this new design is a sweet upgrade!

6. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

7. SpecAU macrumors member

They are still going to suck compaired to a decent set of speakers sitting next to the Mac anyways.

8. Siderz macrumors 6502a

SpecAU's correct.

They'll probably be better as Apple says, but still won't be as good as some external speakers.

9. Macman45, Nov 18, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2012

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Speaker technology has moved on a great deal. The 40W pair in my 27" (2011) Imac sound very good for a pair of internals, although I don't actually use them. Just to illustrate this, a buddy of mine bought a small JBL dock for his ipod the other day...To look at it you'd think it would be tinny and thin sounding, but you'd be wrong...It's a really full rich sound from a tiny unit. I hope that the new Imac range does have good built in speakers, but I always connect to an Onkyo system, only use the internals at night when gaming and not wishing to disturb the neighbours.

10. DeafRaiders macrumors regular

11. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

12. Tri-stan macrumors 6502

Bose produces terrible none true to life sound better suited to playing pop lady ga ga like sound. Its okay if you like that sort of thing. If you want to listen to music as it was intended to sound like I would recommend AudioEngine P2' to upgrade the standard sound.

http://audioengineusa.com/A2B-lifestylebest.jpg

13. TrboMac macrumors regular

TrboMac

I had a pair of old Roland speakers I used on my PC but haven't felt the need to use them w/ my 2011 iMac. I'm impressed w/ the stock speakers. I may end up using other speakers but for now I'm pleased w/ stock for general use.

14. TheMacPotato thread starter macrumors member

I used to love the clear round speakers that came with had my anglepoise iMac. Great sound from them.

15. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

That is simply not true. The Companion 20 Bose speakers I use with my iMac sound excellent. It is surprising how good such small speakers sound.

You've probably never heard a pair of Series IV Mach V stereo speakers I would guess but those sound amazing. i own a pair and love them.

I like my Bose AE2 headphones as well. I like them better than the Denon set they replaced which had cost more. They're a good value for the money.

Within their given price ranges I think Bose speakers are pretty hard to beat and I like their innovative space saving designs.

Lastly, consider that we are talking what comes standard with an iMac versus an upgrade as significant as a pair of Companion 20's. There is just no contest at all. They are far, far better and do not cost a lot considering, around two hundred bucks or less on sale.

16. Tri-stan macrumors 6502

Bose products are priced high, you probably have a tendency to like the sound produced by Bose. You are paying for the Bose name and the bass heavy electronically adjusted sound. You can have a pair of AudioEngine A2's or similar for $200. They blow similarly priced Bose products out of the water. I can see where you are coming from when you talk about space saving designs but if the audio is not up to it, what is the point.