Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtnDewFTW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Hey guys, I have a question about the 27" iMac speaker design.
Recently I noticed that when there was something covering the middle area of my iMac (where the RAM tray is) the sound doesn't change at all.
So, my question is, is there a speaker in there, or does the iMac only have the speakers on the left and right side and none in the middle?

Thanks!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I think it is just left and right. I'm not sure but I don't think theres a subwoofer in there.

mtnDewFTW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
San Francisco, CA
I think it is just left and right. I'm not sure but I don't think theres a subwoofer in there.

I doubt there's a sub in there, or at least one that you would notice. I mean, for internal speakers, these are okay. I was thinking of buying new ones. But not really rushing it right now.

Only reason I noticed this was when I used Oovoo a little while ago, and out of nowhere, my speakers start to make the loudest scratching noise, so I thought I should check them out and make sure that everything works well. And I guess everything's fine. So I can't really notice any difference right now. But yeah.. I don't recommend using Oovoo lol. Unless you wanna get your speakers blown out.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Just the Left and Right. They can produce bass, but no subwoofer.

Per the iMac's specs page -
Built-in stereo speakers
Two internal 17-watt high-efficiency amplifiers
Headphone/optical digital audio output (minijack)
Audio line in/optical digital audio input (minijack)
Built-in microphone
Support for Apple iPhone headset with microphone

TEG

Mr Freezetag

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2010
I would recommend at least upgrading to a simple 2.1 setup. You can get quality units on amazon for under $80 and having new speakers and a sub, even one's that aren't that powerful makes a world of a difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.