iMac spec bump?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by fOoLiX, Jan 1, 2014.

1. fOoLiX macrumors newbie

What are everyones thoughts on the possibility of a spec bump for the iMac in the 1st half of 2014, be it CPU or GFX card? I am in the market for a new 27" iMac but am in the situation of it being 100days since an update and trying to work out if its worth waiting. I'm tempted by a nMP when you compare the cost to a fully spec'd out iMac but then you have to factor in a decent screen which then makes the iMac more cost effective for my needs.

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Nope no changes probably until Q4 2014.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't see that occurring, if you can wait until the next refresh then by all means wait. I think the current iMac line up is pretty good however.

4. benjai macrumors member

I just bought a 27" with 3TB fusion and it flies. I think the pcie in the past update was very worthwhile; I'm getting speeds of around 600MBps on the fusion drive.

I don't think any spec update this year would have much of a major impact.

5. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Maxwell is supposed to be a significant jump over Kepler in terms of GPU performance. We will have to see and as mentioned probably won't be in an iMac until this fall.

6. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

I doubt there will be any spec bump any time soon. If you can wait then by all means do, but remember the day you buy yours someone (on here) will tell you that you should have waited as the next version will have retina/lasers/3D holoprojector.
    If you need one buy one. If you don't wait. Still happy with my current iMac and will be for the next couple of years I'm sure.

7. super tomtendo macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

Agree. And once you buy a "NEW" computer, no matter what brand, it's always going to be out of date or not have the latest whatever. No one can keep up with all the hardware spec bumps etc, unless you're a nut and a rich one. Most people don't need spec bumps every year. These computers can easily last 5 years.