iMac spec refresh

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tag86, Feb 5, 2014.

1. tag86 macrumors newbie

Hi all, I'm looking at getting a new 27inch imac but want to make sure I get one with the most upto date specs. Based on past experience when does Apple normally update the components in the imac?

I'm not talking about a complete new model but just a mid-cycle refresh.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Afaik, iMacs have never gone through a mid-cycle refresh.

rMBPs did go through a mid-cycle refresh though.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

September time usually. Unless something interesting happens at intel.

4. tag86 thread starter macrumors newbie

For some reason I though iMacs used to get refreshed around this time when apple used to unveil the new iPads but I may have been thinking of the MacBooks.

If that's the case I'm assuming now is an ok time to buy without worrying about my iMac being obsolete in a month or two.

5. accountforit macrumors 6502a

Does anyone do this with any other brand?

"I am not buying a Dell right now because they might offer a newer computer in the next 6 months."

Normally, you would just buy a computer when you have the need for one. It's a tool to get a job done. If the current offering can offer that service, then buy it.

6. Kayan macrumors 6502

Disagree. If you don't need the "tool" immediately, why not wait a bit until you can get a better tool for the same price?

7. accountforit macrumors 6502a

If you don't need the tool, then why are you looking at it?

If you are always considering what is coming out 6 months from now, then you are always waiting for what's to come and not just enjoying what you have. Not to mention, most people on this forum are chasing specs they don't need nor will make a difference in day to day use. A lot of Apple customers are irrational idiots. One reason it's a multiple billion dollar company.

8. tag86 thread starter macrumors newbie

Obsolete was probably the wrong word to use because regardless of what specs I get the iMac will be more then capable for at minimum a couple of years. I just hate buying a product and then seeing a new model come out shortly after.

I realise that tech is always changing and the 'cutting edge' will never be the same for long - I was more concerned with Apple upgrading the spec in the next month or two rather then what happens in six month time.

9. mademan118 macrumors regular

Think about it this way. What will I be using my machine for? Are there any features that are not available right now that may be added in the future that I will absolutely need? What benefit is there to buying later and will I actually notice the difference?

Also, Apple products don't necessarily get better with time. Sometimes they change the way you can configure the model you want and you end up paying more. For example, you used to be able to get discreet and integrated graphics in the base 15" rMBP, but now you must purchase the top of the line model to do so.