iMac specs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cyborg21, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Cyborg21 macrumors 6502

Cyborg21

Hi! First of all sorry for my bad english. I'm going to buy an iMac soon, I can afford an iMac with these specs:

27'' IPS display
    3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
    8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X4GB
    1TB Fusion Drive or 256GB Flash Storage
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB GDDR5

and my questions are:

I want an iMac that is fast as much as possible are these specs enough?
    How is gaming on bootcamp? Will games lag?
    Can I put non-Apple RAMs on iMac 27'' ? Will it void warranty? Will it cause problems? Is there a chance to break RAM slots while replacing rams?
    I'm going to use iMac for a very long time (at least 5-6 years), and I want it run like new after 5-6 years and I want to run most apps and programs after 5-6 years which hardware should I go with and what should I do? Will Apple Superdrive work with iMac, are there any cheaper alternatives to it? Thank you!

2. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

Lol it okei :)

It will certainly be fast enough. I personally would go for the fusion, especially if you intend to use bootcamp.

The iMac will be as good as any windows machine of the same specs using Bootcamp since it is just like installing Windows on the machine. If you put non-Apple RAM in, it will not void the warranty as it is user accessible. If anything does go wrong, just put back in the old RAM and take it in. Its very easy to replace and there isnt a large hazard of breaking it.

Nobody can guarantee that the machine will run like new in 5-6 years. It will get slower over time but that happens with anything. The setup you have described sounds future proofed enough. My Black MacBook from 2006 is ok. Slow but works well and I could certainly survive with it.

The Apple Superdrive will work with the iMac and shop around if you want to see others. Imho there will be cheaper alternatives but they won't have the design.. Which is important for me :).

3. Cyborg21 thread starter macrumors 6502

Cyborg21

Thank you so much :D

4. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi