iMac Speedtest Slower than MBP

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AppleSimon, Apr 29, 2012.

1. AppleSimon macrumors regular

Hi all, having a bit of a network issue currently. Last Tuesday I had BT Infinity installed (Cable) and my line gets 79.9Mbps. Sat in the next room to the router I am getting a good 60Mbps from Speedtest. Came upstairs and tested my iMac and I am getting anywhere from 5 - 20Mbps. At first I thought it might be a distance issue, so I connected my MacBook Pro, on my desk with the iMac and was getting speeds 35-40Mbps.

Both are running upto date OS X Lion. The iMac is Late 2009 and the MBP is Mid 2011.

As I was writing this I carried out the test on my iPhone, again next to the iMac and was still getting a strong speed of 20-22Mbps.

Any ideas?

2. sindekit macrumors member

No idea whats going on, but I'm experience a slower speed than usual. It was fine like a couple days ago, and now my signal seems to just be spotty and websites load really slowly. I'm wondering if iMacs need another update for the wifi again.

If someone else is having similar issues please let me know.

3. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

If you have tried the usual fixes...Restart your modem and router etc. It's always possible your ISP is conducting work on the infrastructure slowing things down. VM here in the UK are doing this at the moment. Check your ISP's web site for info. I doubt it's a Mac issue.

4. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

I am assuming both are wireless? Are you connecting to the same 5 Ghz or 2.4 Ghz band, assuming the router transmits both? (most modern routers do). This could make a difference in speed if one band has more interference than the other. Ensure they are both either on 5 or 2.4. Test both bands to see which works best in your environment and use that one.

5. AppleSimon thread starter macrumors regular

I checked for updates and installed the latest WiFi update.

The only thing I can think of closely related to this is at because the fibre cable is new and we have only had it installed a week, it needs time to 'bed' in as such. This is what I have been reading, and people say it takes 10-14 days to get true speeds.

The router is 2.4GHz only.

6. sindekit macrumors member

Does anyone know how to figure out if my wifi card on my iMac is failing? I've noticed that my iMac's internet speed gets drastically slower the longer it is on. This is just a recent occurrence from around Friday.

My iPhone get's a constant 20mb/s while my iMac starts out an a nice 30mb/s then slows down.

7. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

A related issue, perhaps? I have a late 2009 iMac, connects strongly to my WiFi network, works great. Computer goes to sleep when I'm done using it. More often than not, when I wake the computer, it has dropped my network and joined a weak signal from somewhere in my neighborhood. I can manually switch it back to mine, but wth?:confused: