iMac spits out DVD.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Wayne s, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Wayne s macrumors regular

My wife and I paid for a 4D ultra sound scan and got a DVD of the scan which plays fine on our Sony DVD player. The DVD will not play or open on our iMac running 10.5.5. It will also not open or play on a Windows XP machine we have.

Never had a problem with any disc before and am baffled by this. This is my wife's final pregnancy and she is desperate to have the DVD on her iPod to show to friends and family. The iMac just spits the DVD out and XP hangs.

Any help will ease the ear bashing of the wife......:eek::eek:

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Sometimes disks that will play on external players just don't play on the PC or Mac. I'm not sure if there is anything you can do about it though. Is it really a DVD or something strange? I have a disk that is scratched and as soon as I put it in the Mac it spins then gets spit out. You might try cleaning the disk carefully to see if that helps. DVDs can have all kinds of formats that the players can read but not the PC/Mac. You might try a different Mac - sometimes different firmware on the drive can make a difference.

3. AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

Perhaps it's not a compatible file. You should try downloading some freeware like VLC Media Player.

4. kolax macrumors G3

Your Mac doesn't mount it, it just spits it out right away?

I'd give the disc a wipe in case there is dust on it. Another thing to do is to buy an Optical Drive Lens Cleaner for both your computers. Just takes a little bit dust and the drive will have a hard time reading certain discs (depending if they are dual-layer etc).

Also, is it a DVD-RAM disc? Do you have a DVD player hooked up to your tele you could try it with?

5. AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

6. Wayne s thread starter macrumors regular

Just like that. Spins for a moment first.