iMac SSD choices/guide

Discussion in 'iMac' started by farrance, Jan 4, 2012.

1. farrance macrumors newbie

Hey all!

So, after a big huffaw of buying an OCZ Vertex 2 (and loving it, holy piss SSD's are crazy fast). The drive crashed and burned in 2 days. Went from 11 second boot ups into OSX 10.6.7 to not booting. Sent the drive back to the place where I got it from, got my iMac checked aswell. The iMac was fine, all apart from not having a boot disc, it was fine.

So I'm back to square one and back for more.

I've got a few choices of drives and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with them. I'm looking for all out speed. I know my iMac (20" Alu 2.4Ghz w/4GB RAM) has SATA-II, but I am looking to max it out with no bottlenecks in relation to the drive.

The options I'm thinking are;

Another OCZ Vertex 2
    An OCZ Vertex 3
    Corsair Force Series?

What other drives can be recommended too?

I've seen all of these drives for the sub £150 mark and that the budget I am going to stick to. I've heard from a few people that putting a SATA-3 drive in, one with 550/500 read/write speeds will cap my SATA-II to the maximum it could utilize, but it sounds illogical.

Thanks again

2. simsaladimbamba

I have a Vertex 3 120 GB SSD in my 2009 MBP with an S-ATA 3.0 Gbps (S-ATA II) interface, and I still "only" get 180 MB/s read and 220 MB/s write speeds, but S-ATA II should offer more than that. Maybe it is the controller.

My 2007 iMac with an S-ATA II interface gets the same speeds with a Vertex 2 60 GB SSD.

3. farrance thread starter macrumors newbie

See, that seems a bit like bad luck to me. Why do SSD's seem somewhat slower on Macs?

4. farrance thread starter macrumors newbie