iMac SSD delayed boot halfway through?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by NJRonbo, Apr 30, 2013.

1. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

Own the new 27" iMac with 512 SSD.

Lately, the iMac has been having boot problems.

Actually, it boots up instantly, as it should. The problem is, after logging in, I get instant availability of my dock and applications. However, there is an additional 30 second delay until my Geektools desktop and all the top toolbar applications load.

In other words, there is a significant delay from the first half of the boot to the second that was not there before. Since this is an SSD drive, that delay should not be there at all. It's almost as if one particular program that is loading at startup is taking its sweet time to activate and its holding everything else up in its path.

Any idea what may be happening here?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It sounds like one of your login items is slowing things. I would try removing half at a time then test until you find the culprit.

3. NJRonbo thread starter macrumors 68000

Kind of what I figured, thank you.

Is there any utility that shows the order in which programs are loading?

Would rather try to find out that way before I start uninstalling applications.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I am not aware of anything that shows the order, but you don't need to uninstall apps. Just go to System Prefs and in the Users & Groups pane look at login items. Just start removing them from that list. That does not uninstall the app.

You might look at Console logs after startup to see if that give you any tips.

5. NJRonbo thread starter macrumors 68000

Aaah yes....can't believe I didn't think of that.

Thank you, Weasleboy!!