iMac SSD Firmware upgrade problem

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gibbo18, Oct 1, 2012.

1. gibbo18 macrumors newbie

I have a 2011 iMac 27, at the start of this year i used an Apple Certified installer to add a Kingston HyperX 120gb SSD (version: SH100S3/120G) along side the standard 1Tb HDD.

The firmware version on the SSD is Rev. 343 the most up todate version being Rev. 503 (alot of ajustments to TRIM and Speed etc)

My setup being the SSD is boot drive and HDD stores data. I have windows installed via bootcamp on the HDD, which registers the SSD as a secondary drive.

Problem being the Kingston HyperX firmware updater only runs in windows and linux. I have tried running this installer within bootcamp on windows 7, outcome being it apparently is successful but the firmware remains unchanged after a reboot.

What id like to know is: -

1.) Are firmware updates for SSD requried? Have people who have updated seen an improvement etc, lots of forums say if it works dont up date it etc.

2.) The update in my eyes is failing due to AHCI not being enabled or setup differently via bootcamp, problem being this cant be changed as to my knowledge there is no BIOS via bootcamp, also the SSD is securely imbedded within the iMac, so is not easilly removable without cost and stress.

3.) I have not tried installing bootcamp directly on the SSD but will try this if someone thinks it might help.

If anyone has any information related to this would be very helpful, whether linux would be a better alternative to install via bootcamp or VM as it interacts with AHCI differently or would run more smoothly for the update.

I am more than happy to just leave it as i have no immediate problems with the SSD and am very happy with the way it works, but noting that i am alot of firmware revisions behind would mean i would probably notice some form of performance or stability increase.

Thanks

Gibbo18

:)

2. Bacci macrumors newbie

I think AHCI (or better the lack thereof) in Windows is indeed your problem.
    There are threads about how to enable trim/AHCI support in Windows on an existing Windows 7 installation and also on how to enable trim in OS X for non-Apple drives.

IMHO it's just a lot of hassle with a big risk of ending up with an unstable system, in practice you're unlikely to notice a speed difference before and after anyway.

3. gibbo18 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply

I already have Trim enabled via 3rd party software, never had any problems with it installed but then again not really sure if its making a difference to my system anyway.

I will try find a way to enable AHCI in bootcamp but not to hopeful, maybe try bootcamp on the SSD aswell.

But as you said i probably wont notice any difference was just a what if possibility.

Gibbo18