iMac SSD + HDD setup question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by roland.g, Sep 19, 2011.

1. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

My new 27" iMac has the 256 SSD and 1 TB HDD.

I use an external 2 TB HDD and incremental clone for my iTunes media library but my iTunes library file with all the playlist data, etc. resides on my SSD along with the OS and all my apps, as does my home folder.

I've read a bit about people using symlinks, etc. to port their Home folder to the HDD but I don't know that I really need to do that.

My main question comes with regard to iPhoto. I'm not using Aperture, not as of yet anyhow, and I don't know if there is any advantage or non to keeping the iPhoto library on the SSD vs. the HDD. My library is currently at about 55 GB. And my SSD is relatively empty. However, I want to make sure with what I paid for the SSD I get the best performance there. Is there a way and would I want to put the reference library files etc. on the SSD but somehow store all the images on the HDD. Is that possible and would it be worth it, or should I be storing the whole library in one location vs. the other.

Are there any other parts of my home library that would really benefit from creating symlinks to store the data on the HDD?

Thanks for any feedback.

2. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

With Aperture 3, you can use the "Relocate Masters..." command to move the full size images to an different drive (in your case, the HDD), while keeping the previews and library files on the SSD. That way, Aperture launches extremely quickly and you only take a (very slight) performance hit when you open a image full size to do editing. The rest of the time you're viewing a cached version on your SSD.

AFAIK, iPhoto doesn't have the capability to do that.

As far as symlinks go, I'd try to avoid them if at all possible. It's not so much that it's bad for your computer, it's just a PITA to deal with. Just my two pennies.