iMac SSD Install Issues

Discussion in 'iMac' started by nwrightau, Aug 8, 2013.

1. nwrightau macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

I've recently installed SSDs in 4-5 imacs at work and a couple of them have got my stumped.

Using intel 335 180gb SSDs and kit to suit the year from OWC. This issue i'm having with a 2010 iMac is that with both drives (the SSD and the original HD) plugged in the SSD often won't be recognised or won't come up at all. But the SSD works fine if the main HD is unplugged.

Cannot figure out what would cause it to trip out with both drives plugged in.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. macthefork macrumors 6502

That situation does sound odd. Sounds like it could be a power issue. I'm sure you've checked to make sure the plugs are fully seated, especially the power cable plug.

Did you format the SSD with the same Operating System that is giving you problems? Is is seen in Disk Utility? Does the "About This Mac" report under the SATA buss show it recognizing the SSD?

On occasion, I've read that the cables themselves can be faulty. But this is rare, and unlikely you'd have multiple bad cables.

3. nwrightau thread starter macrumors newbie

I think you're right, I changed the SATA cable to one that came with the SSD and it seems to be working now! Will see if it continues to work though...

Now the next problem is a 2009 imac with the cd drive deleted, running an ssd on the ODD to sata cable... all I can think of is that the cable is dodgy? Drive shows up most of the time and can format but won't verify and runs slow.