iMac SSD OSX Install Options

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bboucher790, Jul 19, 2016.

1. bboucher790 macrumors 68000

bboucher790

After doing some research, it looks like I have a few option to get OSX back onto the computer following an SSD upgrade. From what I'm following, I can use the OSX Internet Recovery system to install the default OSX version that came with the iMac originally, or I can create a bootable USB install disk. I don't think I have the original install disk that came with the computer.

My question is should I use the internet recovery system and then upgrade to El Capitan? Or is it smarter to create a USB boot disk? I'd rather not create the boot disk if I don't need to, I'm perfectly content sitting through two installations of OSX. Would one have an advantage over another? Thanks in advance.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Few additional options:

1) If you have a TM backup, you can restore that directly to your SSD.

2) If you can access your old HDD through a USB SATA dock, you can boot into the recovery OS there & reinstall a fresh copy of the OS version which was on your old HDD.

3. hwojtek macrumors 65816

hwojtek

Why not use CCC or SuperDuper! and just clone the existing installation intact to the SSD?

4. DJLC macrumors 6502a

DJLC

I don't think there's any real benefit either way, aside from the fact that creating an ElCap boot drive would give you a faster install.

That said, you could easily also do this if you have access to the old drive: boot into the Internet Recovery system, bring up a Terminal, and use asr to clone the drive. Much easier way of doing it IMO and it will successfully clone your recovery partition, too.