iMac SSD Question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by InfernoUk, Mar 3, 2012.

1. InfernoUk macrumors 6502

Hey guys

So i was thinking of upgrading my imac with an SSD, I wanted to know if i can keep my internal regular drive and run the OS and apps of the SSD?

I dont know much about the imacs internals so wanted to make sure it could hold 2 drives and didnt require some sort of apple authorised connections rather than sata.

Is it as simple as buying any SSD and plugging it in then installing the OS then formatting my existing drive and leaving i for media storage?

2. simsaladimbamba

Depends on your exact iMac model:

I could replace the HDD with an SSD in my 2007 Aluminium iMac, but as there is only space for one drive, I couldn't use the HDD internally.

But the 2011 iMacs have a spare space for the SSD:

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find similar threads:
    [​IMG]

3. InfernoUk thread starter macrumors 6502

sorry forgot to mention that, its a May 2011 model so mid 2011 i guess, 27" i5 model (the base 27")

4. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I've been looking into it myself. I plan on doing as you say: adding an SSD as a boot drive and keeping my 1TB internal for media, etc.

While it's not that complicating, it's also not that simple. You'll have to take your iMac almost completely apart, which can be an hour or two long process. You'll also need a certain SATA cable (can't recall off the top of my head). To mount it, you'll either need double sided tape (or velcro) and can do that behind the DVD drive or you can get a specially made bracket, similar (or exactly like?) the one Apple uses when it does BTOs.

Here're some tutorials:
    http://www.btobey.com/learn/imac-ssd-install.php
    http://blog.chargedpc.com/2011/05/2011-imac-ssd-install-guide.html

As for the OS installation, yeah, I mean, you can either format and install before you install the SSD or afterwards, but I think it's as simple as booting a Lion USB drive or doing an internet recovery kinda thing.