iMac SSD question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kisbys, Jun 21, 2012.

1. kisbys macrumors regular

Hi,

I have my RMBP on the way I am replacing a 36 month old dell studio xps with a 256ssd

just wondering if that will be enough to get my mac whizzing or if you would buy a new one????

I rely on external storage for media but its really for load time of apps and the like...

Or can I shove it in the GoFlex thunderbolt base and just run it as a boot drive that way???

thoughts?

2. leman macrumors 604

To be honest, I don't really get the question. Are you saying that you are getting an iMac instead of your Dell? Because I can hardly imagine that a solid state disk alone is a worthy replacement for a computer.

256Gb SSD is enough for OS and applications (and also lots of data) - if that's what you are asking. You can store movies and other big things on an external drive.

Anyway, why are you getting an iMac if you already have an RMBP? An external monitor might be a better investment — there is a good chance that the RMBP will be faster than the iMac.

3. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Plenty of people have started using a GoFlex TB adapter with an SSD as a boot drive with good results. Personally, I am not fond of the idea for myself. External drives get unplugged too often. Sometime by accident (pull the wrong wire), and sometimes by mistake (people forget the computer has not been shut down... or that the drive has not been ejected first).

I just have a strong desire to have my boot drive internal. I do not want to screw up my boot drive because of a surprise removal event. Maybe my fears are superstition... so YMMV.

/Jim