iMac SSD & RAM Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by macphreak2011, Mar 8, 2012.

1. macphreak2011 macrumors newbie

Hello! I am getting ready to purchase a new SSD upgrade and ram upgrade for my 27" iMac (Mid 2010). I had a few questions and was hoping I could get some good feedback here:

1. What is the best SSD HD to get for the price and reliability and speed? I am leaning towards the OWC Mercury EXTREME Pro 6G 240gb but, I think that is because I just don't know what else is out there. I hear a lot about trim and smart, etc. But, I just want to make a good purchase (I am adding to my 2tb hard drive - not replacing it)

2. I have 8gb of RAM now. I am wanting to upgrade to 16gb (possibly 32gb if the price is right). Yes, I do a lot of high end video editing and photoshop work. This is not for iPages. :)
    What is the best RAM to get and where can I get the best prices? I want ram that is reliable (want to avoid kernel panics if possible :)

3. I have a Mac Experience store close by my house. Should I take it there for the upgrade or attempt to do it myself? It's hard finding step by step tutorials for the Mid 2010 iMac 27" model for adding an SSD instead of replacing the HD.

Anyway, any help anyone can give me or point me in the right direction would be great! This seems like a great forum from what I have seen so far.

Thanks!

2. Bear macrumors G3

You didn't say what country, so this may not be the best answer, but...

2) Crucial Memory and Amazon
    3) Memory is real easy to do maybe 5 minutes with a snack break in the middle. And ifixit.com may have directions on HD to SSD for your iMac.

3. macphreak2011 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am in the US. I'll check into the crucial memory. Thanks!

Anyone have any info on the SSD question?

4. Yury macrumors newbie

SSD: look to Intel 520 & Samsung 830.
    For now, most stable SSD is Marvel based ones (nice example: Crucial M4).