iMac SSD slowing down?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Mike Oxard, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Mike Oxard macrumors 6502a

Mike Oxard

I have a mid 2011 27" iMac i7 with the BTO 256GB SSD and 2TB HDD. It feels like it is running slower than when new, when launching apps and also restating. I've run Blackmagic on it and I'm getting 150MB/s write and 199MB/s read. I'm sure this is slower than when new. (The HDD is getting 77MB/s read and write)

Are other people getting similar speeds or is my SSD slowing down? Is there anything I can do to speed it up? I've not got trim enabler running on it, I assumed BTO SSD's didn't need it.

Any help or advice appreciated!!

2. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

Ensure that TRIM is running by going to the Apple menu/About This Mac/More Info.../System Report. Then click on SATA/SATAExpress and you'll get a bunch of info in the right window (since you have 2 internal drives, you might have to select the SSD at this point). Anyway, there's a line for TRIM Support and it will say Yes or No.

You would think if you bought the machine with a BTO SSD, it would say Yes, but it's certainly worth checking.

3. Mike Oxard thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mike Oxard

Thanks, I checked that and it does say YES for trim.

The drive model is APPLE SSD TS256C if that helps!!

4. Mike Oxard thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mike Oxard

Having found the model in system profiler (thanks toddzrx :)) I've had a quick search and it seems these are close to the standard speeds for the drive:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1091789&page=2

The SSD's I've just fitted in my 2008 iMac and 2009 MBP are faster, which was what made me think there was a problem. Also I've just got a G-RAID 8TB Thunderbolt drive and that is faster too, I wasn't expecting that.

I guess it just shows progress?

The machine also has a lot of USB drives attached for TM, iTunes and multiple backups, I think this may be contributing to the slow restarts.

5. lmhufty macrumors newbie

Trim on SAMSUNG SSD 830 Series

I have a SAMSUNG SSD 830 Series with the Trim showing No. How do I get it to Yes, if it is necessary? Thanks

6. sjjordan macrumors 6502

Download an app called Trim Enabler. It's free. I use it to enable TRIM on my Samsung 830 series 250GB SSD.

7. Mike Oxard thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mike Oxard

I have the 830 in my MBP and used Trim Enabler too, Trim shows as YES in System Profiler.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Reboot while holding command-s to get to single user mode. Then type in "fsck -fy" (without the quotes) and hit enter. This will check for disk errors and TRIM all free space on the drive. When it is done type reboot and hit enter.

9. Mike Oxard thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mike Oxard

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

10. Mike Oxard thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mike Oxard

OK, after running fsck I've got an improvement in write from 150 to 170MB/s, read has remained the same. Thanks again!

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Glad that helped.