imac ssd upgrade

Discussion in 'iMac' started by presco, Dec 31, 2010.

1. presco macrumors newbie

Hi all

First time in a forum so please excuse me if I'm asking silly question or indeed asking in the wrong place, I will learn eventually I promise.

Having just bought a 27" quad core 2.93 ghz imac in November I am desperate to upgrade it and install an ssd.

Having read posts, I am confused and am looking for a definitive answer to the following question:-

Can I add a2.5" ssd to my machine whilst keeping the original HDD and optical drive in the machine?

I read somewhere that you could add the ssd alongside the other drives in the 2010 model but when reading the posts some people are saying that the ssd should be installed either in place of the Hdd or the optical drive.

I am not a computer whiz so answers in simple terms would be appreciated.

Also if it is possible to install the ssd alongside the other drives, what other bits are needed I.e cables etc

Any help would be gratefully received.

2. SpitUK macrumors 6502

SpitUK

3. presco thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks

Do i need to buy extra cables for power etc?

4. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

What SSD did you go for?

5. DELTAsnake macrumors 6502

DELTAsnake

Say goodbye to your warranty if you crack it open and install one yourself and if you pay an Apple Certified Tech to install it will cost a lot in labor.

6. presco thread starter macrumors newbie

I already have a samsung 256gb pm 800 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s but am not yet sure if its suitable to use in the mac?

Not too up on these ssd's so any comments welcome.