iMac SSD Upgrade

Discussion in 'iMac' started by vodouman, Jul 14, 2011.

1. vodouman macrumors regular

Hi guys,

I'm certain this question has been posed before but it's quite specific regarding the year so if you've got a link to a post regarding my question then feel free to send me there ;)

Q:

I bought my iMac (January this year, i7 processor, 2TB HDD, it's in the signature below) One of the options when I ordered was to put in a SSD along with a hard drive. My question is; If I were to open up my iMac could I put a SSD inside my mac alongside the hard drive that is in it now or is this a BTO only option specific to the interior casing they use?

Cheers,

- Vodouman

2. Dresevski macrumors 6502

You can definitely put in the SSD along side your HDD. However, you will not be at SATA III speed. There are a few guides, not sure where at the moment, but you have to open it up...(do all the crap)...but you can use the bracket that Apple used to supply. This model there has bee a switch to the new case design, no worries for you though!

3. vodouman thread starter macrumors regular

Excellent, thanks very much. Now that I know it's possible I'll scour YouTube :)

4. Dresevski macrumors 6502

5. Dresevski macrumors 6502

In the last link, instead of using 2 cables you should get the 13 female to 22 pin female linked in the other SSD thread. It's from microsatacables.com or something. I used it and it's perfect. That way you don't need to do any splitting and wiring!

6. Jurpl macrumors newbie

How are your fans? ok without installing any fan control software?

7. Dresevski macrumors 6502

I feel like you asked me this in another thread. Fans are fine, in both SL and W7 without any software. Fan problems only occur if you start messing with the original HDD (aka replacing it with a new SSD or different drive). Even the splitting seems to leave the fans alone from what I've read.

That said, I still use smcfancontrol just to keep things a bit cooler since I don't mind a little noise.

8. Jurpl macrumors newbie

Now I'm sure :) Thanks i'm gonna sit in front of my mailbox :)