iMac SSD won't boot

Discussion in 'iMac' started by angusmcfisher, Mar 16, 2013.

1. angusmcfisher, Mar 16, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2013

angusmcfisher macrumors member

Hello all, I'm hoping you can help me.

I installed an Intel X-25m G2 SSD into my iMac, keeping the internal hard drive in the bay, but a couple of days ago I was unable to boot from the drive. It was bringing up the crossed circle. Entering single user mode resulted in 'Waiting for root device'. I have been able to access the Recovery partition on the drive, so have backed up all my data so that isn't an issue. I've formatted the SSD and tried to reinstall OSX, but when it reboots, the issue persists. I've ran an intense diagnostic on it over night, which resulted in no issues, and the SMART status appears to be ok too. Terminal can access the drive no problem, and Disk Utility is showing no problems either.

Before formatting I tried both repairing permissions and disk repair. There were some permissions that were repaired, but it didn't fix the issue. And the issue should not persist after formatting and attempted reinstallation of OSX.

Is there anything else you can suggest, other than doing the dreaded opening up the iMac to see if there is a problem on the inside?

Warmest regards,

Angus

2. angusmcfisher thread starter macrumors member

Fixed the issue. For those who are interested, it is an issue with the 10.8.3 update from Apple and the Intel X25m G2, perhaps others. Updating the firmware on the SSD fixed the issue.

3. macthefork macrumors 6502

Thank you for that update... I wonder if there's an issue with any other non-Apple SSDs (like the OWC Mercury Extreme drive in mine) I'll have to check before updating.

4. Dadioh macrumors 65816

Dadioh

For What It's Worth... I have updated to 10.8.3 on all the Macs in my house so the following SSD's appear to be fine:

Intel 330 180GB (2 of them)
    OCZ Agility 4 120GB
    OCZ Vertex 4 120GB
    Samsung 840 128GB
    OCZ Vertex Plus 60GB

Sounds like something very specific to the X25.