Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonL12345

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2012
I got an iMac 27" i7 but sent it back because the screen was not level. Today, I just received a replacement but the left side of the stand is chipped. :(

See attached image.

Would you send it back (again)?

Jon

Attachments

• chipped.jpg
    chipped.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 132

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
If the chip was on the back side facing away from me, I wouldn't.....since it looks like it's right in front and you have to see it every time you sit at your Mac, I would send it back.

JonL12345

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2012
Another pic to show its position.

Attachments

• chip3.jpg
    chip3.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 70

imac275

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2013
I have been through this with my recently purchased iMac.

The first one arrived with some scuffs on the side, the replacement had bigger scuffs in the same place. The next replacement had a much louder fan than the other two, so I ended up keeping the first one.

I have still got the option to return that one as well and I might do that but only due to some other software problems with the machine.

I love Apple products but don't trust the QC, and there seem to be quite a few worse problems that people are suffering with here so I am reluctant to send it back and possibly get a worse one.

It is worth noting that Apple have (as usual) been excellent through the whole process, but it is quite a lot of hassle for me to receive and return loads of machines, so I might just cut my losses and keep this one.

If you are in a position where you have someone at home during the day to accept the deliveries, I'd be tempted to keep going until you get a perfect one.

JonL12345

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2012
Its a pain for me too. I spend most of my time working from home, but I had the delivery date changing a few times and I can't install any software on my iMac until I get one without defects. So, its just used for surfing the web.

I agree about the QC issues. I think they seem poor. I mean what are the chances of having two defects out of two orders? Quite high it seems!

I hate returning anything. But when you spend over £2K on something, you want it defect free. I'm also thinking Apple might blacklist me for being a troublesome customer as I keep returning their stuff!

imac275

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2013
I'm also thinking Apple might blacklist me for being a troublesome customer as I keep returning their stuff!

I doubt it. When I called about mine, they apologised that the problem existed and stated unequivocally that there should be no marks or problems whatsoever with their products.

I had 3 machines in total (including 2 set up next to each other at any one time) and Apple seemed happy to keep sending me new ones until I was happy. It is me that put a stop to that as it was getting difficult to manage logistically!

I am also on my 3rd iPhone 5, although that is being exchanged for technical reasons not cosmetic.

Apple have been brilliant throughout the whole process and I am happy to pay a premium for their products knowing they are backed by this type of service. It is just a shame that their QC does not seem to measure up to the rest of the operation.

This is totally different to the experiences I have heard about with Samsung, Sony and most of the others where quite big cosmetic faults always seem to be 'within acceptable limts'.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Its a pain for me too. I spend most of my time working from home, but I had the delivery date changing a few times and I can't install any software on my iMac until I get one without defects. So, its just used for surfing the web.

I agree about the QC issues. I think they seem poor. I mean what are the chances of having two defects out of two orders? Quite high it seems!

I hate returning anything. But when you spend over £2K on something, you want it defect free. I'm also thinking Apple might blacklist me for being a troublesome customer as I keep returning their stuff!

Okay firstly, think about this. Apple has over $150 billion in the bank free spending money. Companies get richer when customers aren't sending back defective products. The money you spent is trivial because everybody spends at least $2k on an Apple system, the real point here is you gave Apple business in good faith and they have to give you what they advertise. There's nothing on their website in small print that says "Product may contain an acceptable amount of build quality defects".

They're not going to blacklist you. I will say that Apple's customer service is better than most. You have a legitimate issue. They can blacklist a customer who is habitually exchanging machines over and over for ridiculous claims such as the fan not being dead silent when they lay their ear directly over the fan exhaust area on the back of the iMac.

Send it back. If you need to use it for work I believe Apple does offer a way that you can give them your credit card information just for security and they will send you the replacement while you're still holding onto the defective one. They did this for me. In terms of QC, don't get discouraged, you just got a couple of bad ones. If it's any consolation I got a brand new i7 warranty replacement from Apple (made in the USA :)) and it's flawless. I've had it for a year this month and it's had zero problems. I bought the Applecare anyway but it's been perfectly fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.