iMac Stand for standing desk

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sabester24, Dec 14, 2015.

1. sabester24 macrumors member

I've recently realized that I haven't been very ergonomic with my standing desk setup. My understanding is that your eyes should be level with the top 1/3rd portion of the screen. I've been looking down on the screen too much and realized I need to raise my 27'' iMac up between 5-7''. Most of the stands I've seen on Amazon don't raise the height enough and there really isn't a great selection.

I did find this stand which looks like my best solution for the moment. Is anybody else aware of where I could find a stand that would work well with the 27'' 5K iMac?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why not just add some books to the bottom of the iMac to raise it up?

3. sabester24 thread starter macrumors member

That's what I'm currently using, but it doesn't exactly match the iMac's aesthetics...

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Perhaps, but I don't see the books looking any worse then the linked etsy product you have in your OP :)

5. sabester24 thread starter macrumors member

Haha true...I suppose that's why I'm asking the community for alternative ideas.

6. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Fortunately I'm short so I've never had that problem.
    Have you looked into monitor stands? I have one that I use for the models I build. The one I have has blocks you can add to adjust the height.

7. sabester24 thread starter macrumors member

Would you mind linking to the stand you have? I haven't seen one with blocks, but that sounds interesting....

8. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

twelve south has one that is aluminum, or 3M makes basic display stands as well that are functionally and adjustable.

9. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

10. Easttime macrumors 6502

I found a stand in Home Depot that works but is not as solid as I would like. I built an open box from cherry plywood with cherry trim to raise my second monitor that doubles as a space to store pens and paper clips. I should do the same for the iMac.

11. sabester24 thread starter macrumors member

Just wanted to circle back and thank you for linking to the 3M stand. It just arrived today and it looks great. I bought 2 of them and made a "hybrid" stand using 2 extra plastic blocks for a total of 5 blocks on each leg. I'm a tad concerned about the stability of the plastic, but it seems like decent build quality. I suppose only time will tell. I may try using superglue to ensure the blocks are secure. Have you had any issues with stability? I'm not sure 3M would recommend my "hybrid" setup, but it was the only option for a mount taller than 6 inches.