iMac stand is bent, how to repair?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by user1690, Jun 14, 2011.

1. user1690 macrumors regular

user1690

Hey guys!

My iMac i ordered just arrived (Y'know, that late 06 model.) and it seems somewhere in transit, looks like it got dropped, it works thankfully but the stand seems to have taken a small beating to the point where its bent slightly in the middle causing the monitor to lean as far forward as the stand will permit, anyone got a repair guide for me as i cant really seem to find a solution and i sure as hell cant bend it back.

In fact, heres a brief video i took to show the seller i got it from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3f5aQym-tk

2. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

You're probably screwed. I'm not sure a repair shop would be willing to try and bend it back into shape. Aluminum isn't easily repaired.

3. user1690 thread starter macrumors regular

user1690

Damnit, i might see if i can find something to hold it in place, cos it stands fine, but when positioning the monitor, due to the small middle bend, it wont sit straight.

4. user1690 thread starter macrumors regular

user1690

Now i've got my answer to the stand thing;

Does anyone know the cause of dark patches on the screen? Looks like this iMacs screen has...i dnno...burnt in some areas? I dont think its a GPU issue, although this iMac could do with a clean, can the back be removed with ease...or?

Looks like this; - PICTURE IS NOT MINE!

[​IMG]

5. dfine1966 macrumors 6502

To be honest, I would return the item if I could. Unless these problems were pointed out in the description, you should be able to return it. But if the seller did tell you about these problems, and you still bought it, you are stuck with it. If you bought it off of Ebay, you should be able to return it or file a complaint to Ebay. If you bought it from a friend, Craigslist, you might be out of luck.

You could also go to an Apple certified repair shop and see if they have another stand to replace that one, if you can't return the iMac.

6. user1690 thread starter macrumors regular

user1690

I apologise for not saying, the seller mentioned the screen issue i mention above, but the stand seems to have been damaged in transit. I fixed the problem by putting the iMac as far against my wall as possible and then wedging a box in between to force screen to stay up.

7. BlindSoul macrumors 6502

How much did you pay for this half working iMac?

8. user1690 thread starter macrumors regular

user1690

£375.

9. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

It's not very easy to manually bend the stand to a way that will work once more, I think it'd be easier if you bought some sort of a dock through ebay or something..

10. user1690 thread starter macrumors regular

user1690

Yeah you're right. Very sturdy material this is, im suprised it bent in the first place. Looks like the courier dropped the system right on the stand itself. The system is fully functional except for the screen issue above and the stand. So im still happy.

11. BlindSoul macrumors 6502

Wow, I think that even if the iMac was fully working It still wouldn't worth it.

12. Steamrunner macrumors member

The screen issue is probably dirt/dust - iFixit may have a teardown you can follow if you fancy ripping it apart yourself to clean, or an Apple repair shop should be able to do it for you.

As for the stand, I have a suggestion - rather than trying to fix the stand, have you considered a mount? I'm not sure if that's one of the iMacs that Apple do a VESA kit for - if not, something like http://www.imacmount.com/ could help, perhaps?

13. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

14. user1690 thread starter macrumors regular

user1690

Yeah i was thinking about a mount. As for screen thing, it actually looks like its burnt. I felt those areas of the screen and they are warm, so im assuming previous owner must have let this get quite hot, hence the wierd dark patches.

In response to the price poster, you'd not be suprised to know, on eBay, even these models sometimes sell for over the price i bought it for. (Seen one go yesterday for about £568)

15. basher macrumors 6502

basher

I did a quick search at eBay.com, "iMac stand" and found a lot of people selling the stand that you're trying to fix. I saw one as low as $25.

There was also a youtube.com video that I watched that showed how to install the Apple Vesa mount. If you watch the directions you should be able to figure out how the standard mount uninstalls.

Good luck with getting your stand taken care of.

16. user1690 thread starter macrumors regular

user1690

Im going to see if i can find detailed stand replacement instructions and then buy a replacement stand from ebay.co.uk or elsewhere. If you find detailed instructions for stand replacement please let me know. ;) Also, how hard will it be to clean this system, just noticed the fan port at the back, it is CLOGGED with dust its actually spewing from the system.