iMac start up sound, help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Tbdbuckeyeitl, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Tbdbuckeyeitl macrumors regular

I have a late 2012 imac 1tb fusion drive. I heard a sound today on start up can someone tell me if your machine does this as well.
    When I press the power button, I hear a whoop sound then the fans then the apple startup chime. I have not heard the whoop sound before today, is this normal, does anyone else's do this?

2. simsaladimbamba

Can you record it with your phone or other device and attach it to your next post?

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

On my 2011 iMac it's normal to hear the DVD drive cycling on power up, kind of a high-pitched two-part sound "Wheep-whoop". Do you have an external DVD drive attached maybe?

4. Tbdbuckeyeitl thread starter macrumors regular

I don't have anything to record it. I don't have a CD/DVD drive or an external. The whoop sound is not as loud as the apple chime if that helps. Can anyone record theirs? Thanks for the help.

5. Tbdbuckeyeitl thread starter macrumors regular

6. macthefork macrumors 6502

Your hard drive will make a similar noise as to that described as it un-parks it's heads when it's started up. That could be what you're hearing. But, without hearing it ourselves, we can't be sure.

7. Tbdbuckeyeitl thread starter macrumors regular

If I record it on my phone how do I get it on the board.

8. simsaladimbamba

Start by telling us what exact phone you have and how you want to record with it?