iMac starting to freeze up on me

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pb1300, Jul 3, 2009.

1. pb1300 macrumors 6502a

So Id be watching a movie on my iMac, or just do other tasks, and everything would all of a sudden freeze up on me, with the mouse cursor the only thing moving around. The system wont let me do anything, and I have to hold down the power button to shut it off. Any suggestions?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You might want to try the usual quick fixes...

From Utilities -> Disk Utility
    Repair Permissions

Or, you can try resetting the PRAM

You can run the maintenance scripts in Onyx

Other than that, you might want to boot from your Leopard disk and do an Archive and Install

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. pb1300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did that, and its still running a little sluggish. I havent gotten the freezing yet, but its rather slow from time to time. Ive ran Onyx, and dont really know what else to do. Im thinking I just need to restore it back to the factory settings, and go from there.

4. pb1300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So Im thinking about restoring from the beginning. My question is, if I Time Machine my iMac, can I restore the stuff after I restore my iMac? Also, would I have to install all the software on my system again, or is that in Time Machine as well?

5. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

If I understand you correctly you do not have a Time Machine back up yet. If this is the case and you do a back up now when you restore you get everything that you have now including the problems you are experiencing.

6. pb1300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh thats great, so I might as well throw the damn thing off the balcony :mad: Ive had the machine since 07 I believe, and never had much issues with it until recently. I get lines on my screen (different positions when I restart), as well as some other visual distortions. Id go on Facebook for example, or yahoo IM, and type to my friends, and some of the letters would delay before they would show. Now it likes to freeze on me from time to time, almost daily. I dont have that many programs on here, and could just re-install them, but Im wondering if this will do the trick.

7. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

If you're experiencing these glitches and lockups even after an archive and install then hardware problems (failing logic board?) should also be considered. Do you have Applecare for the machine? If not and you've had it since '07 it's clearly out of the limited one year warranty and you'd better hope it's not a bad logic board. It's quite expensive if you have to pay for it. Such problems also tend to get progressively worse over time.

8. indg macrumors 6502

which imac model is it? white or aluminum? cpu speed? lcd size?

if it's the late 2006 intel imac, it's most likely the logic board design flaw exasperated by heat. it's a widespread problem with the late 2006 intel imac that apple is refusing to acknowledge. instead they are charging $900 to replace the logic board, which makes no sense for a computer that isn't even worth that much on today's open market.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1467276&tstart=0
    http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/imacrecall