iMac starts up on its own...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thepandamancan, Jul 18, 2008.

1. thepandamancan macrumors member

thepandamancan

So I sometimes download large files and leave it downloading when I go to bed at night. I set my iMac to shut down at say 4 or 5 in the morning when the downloads should be done. I only set it to automatically shut down through the energy saver settings.

HOWEVER, whenever I do this...no matter what time I set it to shut down, my computer always starts itself at 4pm. Can anyone tell me how to stop this from happening?

2. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

Go into energy saver - schedule and make sure "Start up or wake" is un-checked.

3. thepandamancan thread starter macrumors member

thepandamancan

That's the weird thing. It is unchecked. I never touch it. I only set it to shut down yet it always starts itself up later that afternoon.

4. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

your mac is on the siesta schedule and wakes itself after the nap period, ready to work in the cool of the evening...

I know it pretty basic, but have you repaired permissions, run the maintenance routines and rebuilt the directory? Sounds like a setting or a glitch.

5. kolax macrumors G3

I'd enable wake from sleep/start up and set it to 4pm. Restart, then uncheck that option and restart.

Just in case the setting got corrupt and does something even when unchecked.

6. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

I have the same problem with my MBP. It wakes up / starts at 2AM which is even more annoying ;)

I tried repairing permissions, running the maintenance scripts. Someone even suggested it might be eyeTV trying to update the EPGuide. But it wasn't on mine.

7. kolax macrumors G3

Does it start up even with the lid closed, or does the lid have to be open?

8. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

It also starts up with the lid closed... Causing some nice complications.

9. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

^ well my old school MacBook Pro Core Duo doesnt even sleep automatically anyway so spare how i fell hehe :D

have you tried zapping the 'ol PRAM?

10. avingochea macrumors member

Could a blutooth device such as a keyboard or a mouse be the culprit?

11. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

No bluetooth device in use. I also have Bluetooth disabled most of the time.